Fron sway bar

starlet dude

Member +
Can anyone tell me the size of the front sway bar on the gt turbo? 19mm or 22mm? I wanna order some polyurethane bushings for my ride

p2d

Member +
24mm is mainly used for track work, but 22mm is perfect i find. Use it with a 20mm rear one and you'll be laughing.

starlet dude

Member +
24mm is mainly used for track work, but 22mm is perfect i find. Use it with a 20mm rear one and you'll be laughing.

Forgive my ignorance but i juss like to b sure. If the sway bar is 19mm u r sayin i can use a 22 or 24 mm rubber with no problems? Correct?

Panhard rod? If im honest mate, its proberbly best to get a new front anti roll bar, if your upgrading the front bushes to make it "better" its really not going to make a big diffrence.. The bars are about £100ish i think and they come with bushes already!

The rear panhard rods, im not sure what size the bushes are, but if you ask toyota to look them up on the EPC they will be able to tell you the part number and possibly the size!

starlet dude

Member +
you dont want a massive front ARB, that will give you soem chronic understeer.
LOL yea i was told that. I'm juss goin to go back with the 19mm bushins but use the polyurethane....... i like understeer though it's fun in a starlet. As soon as u lift throttle the back whips around. Looks like it's rwd once u can control the whip

fred

Member +
But when you fit a rear ARB the turn in become electric :)

I recently bought an adjustable one from toy tuning, best thing ive done to the car.

king_stu

Member +
whats it like changing the front ARB? looking at doing this myself and got told its a pig of a job to do. Anyone give me some info on swaping ARBs please

p2d

Member +
Forgive my ignorance but i juss like to b sure. If the sway bar is 19mm u r sayin i can use a 22 or 24 mm rubber with no problems? Correct?

no no, The stock front ARB (Anti Roll Bar) is 19mm thick, so you would need to use a 19mm bush, you can buy larger ARBS such as Whiteline, Ultra Racing and TRD. Whiteline do a 22 and 24mm front bar, which come supplied with the 22 and 24mm bushes depending which you buy. Ultra Racing only make a rear bar as far as im aware, and because as standard the Starlet/Paseo/Glanza doesnt have a rear ARB this makes a huge difference, that bar is a 20mm bar.

Whiteline do 2 rear ARBS, both 20mm, one is adjustable, one isnt. The Adjustable one has 3 settings, soft/medium/hard. The non-adjustable one is set to medium which is fine for road use, where-as the hard setting is for track work. And i see no reason in the Soft setting.

TRD only make a front ARB which i think, is 23mm. i assume that will come with 23mm bushes, because if it doesnt, its stupid.

I have Whiteline 22mm front and 22mm rear fixed on my car, and they make a huge difference.

Another choice mod is a Whiteline ALK (Anti Lift Kit) That combined with the front and rear ARBS will make an enourmous difference to the cars handling. The ALK adds 0.5degrees positive caster to both front wheels, giving better grip. That added caster is added by offset bushes (normal bushes have the hole in the center, these are slightly to one side). The ALK also has 2 Anti Lift Plates (One for each side). When you accelerate hard the front of the car lifts, these two plates help to reduce that lift which in turn gives better traction, they're ideal for anyone into drag racing, but are also a very good mod for anyone as it'll generally give more grip when accelerating fast and for powering out of corners.

Mike