Fuel Cut Problem............

Mickster

Member +
Hey folks,

Right i fitted the BLITZ Decat downpipe and full s/s exhaust system to my car.

At this time i did the induction too, the air filter and cold air feed.

At this time i hit fuel cut :(

So, ive been driving with a light right foot so the boost doesnt creep up too badly.

My question is -

Once i get the following mods, will it stop the boost creep?

S/S Custom 2.5 inch Exhaust
BLITZ DOWNPIPE - DECAT
Big Twin Cone Steel Mesh air filter with cold air feed
SPS Manifold - Fit tomorrow
HKS Actuator - Fit tomorrow
FMIC - Order soon

In a month or so i will be getting E-Manage Blue, but i want to know for the meantime on lowest boost setting (0.7bar) if the car will creep and hit fuel cut?

I have read up on the whole boost creep thing, but what do you think?

Thanks ALOT folks.

Mick

monka

Member +
well if it does creep, in the mean time just lower the boost until you get it sorted,

those mods may help the creep go, but could also make it worse.

Mickster

Member +
Well the car is creeping up on standard boost just now.

I have a bleed valve but its completely closed! (so effectively its not doing anything).

monka

Member +
yeah it would creep with what you have, mine creeps/did creep with just an apexi at the end of the s bend, and a full system.

once you put all the kit on, take the bleed valve out, and go for a drive, and adjust the actuator untill your not hitting fuel cut

Rory

Lifer
Open your bleed valve a little bit.
If it is closed it will boost as much as it can..

Will act like the wastegate flap is stuck shut.

With your mods, you will have a tendency to creep a bit.
You will need it sorted before fitting the Blue(stop the creep)

Quick fix is to restrict the filter a bit or restrict the exhaust.
Filter is easier to do (Duct tape)

AntEP82

Member +
Alright mate

I've got a relocated filter n full N1 exhaust system and am gettin pretty bad creep even with a hks actuator..... (not sure if it is fully adjusted.... I have played around with it a bit but dont think it will help even if it was). I think i'm goin to go for a wepr kit which is externally gated which will solve the creep. It is a more expensive option but will definately solve the problem. I'm assuming u've already got the SPS manifold tho if you're fitting it 2moz

monka

Member +
Open your bleed valve a little bit.
If it is closed it will boost as much as it can..

Will act like the wastegate flap is stuck shut.

With your mods, you will have a tendency to creep a bit.
You will need it sorted before fitting the Blue(stop the creep)

Quick fix is to restrict the filter a bit or restrict the exhaust.
Filter is easier to do (Duct tape)

that will increase the boost wont it?

with it bleeding air off, the actuator doesnt see as much boost, as some is being bled off. so the actuator doesnt open as much, which means the wastegate doesnt open as much, then it boosts more.

Rory

Lifer
If the bleed valve is shut, it will increase boost, like having the wastegate flap stuck shut.

If the actuator cant see boost, then it will boost what it pleases.

monka

Member +
If the bleed valve is shut, it will increase boost, like having the wastegate flap stuck shut.

If the actuator cant see boost, then it will boost what it pleases.

is that not on a dawes device one?

i thought the bleed valves let it through even when closed, as the dont fully shut, and as you open them they bleed it off? closed just meant it doesnt bleed any?

Rory

Lifer
The way i see it is, if its shut, its shut.

I would rather not have them fully shut, for the simple fact it can/could run infinity boost levels.
If the actuator cant see pressure, then it cant do its job of controlling pressure.

jackep82

Member +
im having the same problem right now. the boost controller is completely shut but im hitting fuel cut.. ill try to open up a bit and see what happens

Fatman

Member +
Above advice is completely wrong.. original poster is correct, opening the tap will INCREASE boost in this case. Boost taps of this type do not introduce a restriction to the line, only have the potential to release pressure, thereby opening the wastegate at a higher pressure level.

As for solving your creep problem, actuator is the first mod you should be doing. The stock actuators are, to be honest, terrible. With a decent actuator on there it should be able to hold a more stable boost figure. Another method that may be beyond your realm of expertise is porting the wastegate. There is some (although not a great deal) of material you can safely remove without causing any sealing issues. This obviously increases the amount of exhaust able to be bypassed and should hopefully result in stable boost.

How big is your downpipe? On anything larger than 2.5 inch you will have a very tough time regulating boost on a ct9 without an external gate. As downpipe diameter increases and backpressure reduces the exhaust gas will preferentially flow over the exhaust wheel rather than the more restrictive internal wastegate, exacerbating your problem. If you have a removable silencer, try putting that in to increase backpressure slightly, you will likely find your boost control problems are lessened.

chris250

Fresh Recruit
alright Mick, yes i'm on here too :p, from all accounts porting the wastegate will lead to failure of the exhaust housing unless done with extreme precission and the correct tools.

if it is a bleed value and not a dawes device then shutting it lets the actuator see all the boost, which is what your after, however a mate had the same issues as yourself and found that opening the bleed valve slightly helped reduce the spiking. i dont know if this is completely true or accurate but it's worth a try. if you hit cut any sooner that with it fully closed then just remove the valve altogether and plum the actuator straight into your turbo.

I've heard/seen people restricting the airfilter, since yours is a mesh one it's easily done with gaffer tape, again it's worth a try, it won't cause any damage and if it doesn't work you can easily remove it.

are you planning on using the bleed vlave after you fit your new actuator?

Mickster

Member +
Ok folks, thanks for all the comments.

Chris, news to me, didnt know you were on here! lol!

Yes, i have removed the bleed valve and fitted the HKS actuator.

I have a RRday on the 8th, so i will have to sort something out for sure, and i really dont wanna put the stock air box back on!

Need it be tape, or can a sock do the trick? lol

Cheers folks!

monka

Member +
alright Mick, yes i'm on here too :p, from all accounts porting the wastegate will lead to failure of the exhaust housing unless done with extreme precission and the correct tools.

never heard of a turbine housing failure before due to a ported waste gate.

the ct9s tend to crack even with out porting