fuel gauge problem

dj-rix

Member +
a while back my fuel guage got stuck at the bottom, after a full tank the needle started to move again, however only goes to 3/4 mark when i have filled the tank completely full.

what should i check?

weeJohn

Lifer
Have you had the fuel pump and sender unit out of the petrol tank? If so take it out again and have a look to see its working correctly and not fouling on anything. Also check the plug and wiring looks intact and has no bad contacts that would affect the return signal voltage.

Does the tank empty light still come on when the needle is still in the position it did before the problems? If not and its way under, then it may be just the needle has moved on the spindle. emove the clocks from the dash, take the needle off (use a fork to pry it off) and replace itwhere it should be. To do this you need to refit the clocks with no glass on it, either have a full tank or the empty light on and replace the needle where it should be.

Ryan87

Member +
i have this problem mine when i fill it to the neck will only rise to just below a quarter tank. Have had it near a year now so annoying i only have my fuel light to go by when i am running out of petrol. The only thing i haven't tried is what weeJohn has said going to have to give it ago

Last edited:

yiph

Member +
Where about is the fuel level sensor? Built into the fuel pump or bottom of the tank?

I was having bit of missed reading on fuel tank level, but it seems to be getting worse now. Full tank is up to bit less than Full mark, but after 1st quarter, drops so fast below mid level and to last quarter and stays there for a long time. Not sure what caused it as I haven't touched the fuel tank at all.