Fuel in EXPANSION BOTTLE!!

Jamie Marks

Fresh Recruit
I have recently bought a toyota starlet gtt i have changed the coolant, oil and oil filtre which i was advised to do because of the smell of fuel in the expansion bottle. After driving it for 5 days the smell has now returned any suggestions? if its the head gasket what other bits would i have to buy? Prices?

artmull

Member +
Check the oil level and smell the oil on the dipstick to see if fuel is going into the sump. If you smell fuel in the oil it means that you may have a stuck injector. If you swap injectors and it still happens you will need to check the complete fuel system. Empty the tank and use compressed air to blow out the tank and the supply and return fuel lines. Also check the fuel filter.

Aidan-G

Member +
I think it is m8 how much did it cost you and what parts did you have to buy?

i put in a 2mm zep headgasket it cost £250..and i put it in myself,so it just cost the price of the headgasket

if your just replaceing a standard headgasket then there around £40..

id get a mechanic to have a look at it first before you strip the head off if your not sure

Jamie Marks

Fresh Recruit
Ok thankyou I am a mechanic lol but have never smelt fuel in water before just obvious symptoms like water in oil and smoking or overheating it is also starting to smoke a bit but will get it checked,will a trd gasket be ok and will I need any otherparts?
Many Thanks Jamie

Aidan-G

Member +
make sure its the gasket first anyway,you know yourself:)

mine used to smoke too,and its fine now..whats the spec of your engine?what mods have you done or are going to do?

you could change the water pump while the heads off or valve stem oil seals but its up to you really on how much you want to do

Jamie Marks

Fresh Recruit
I was told it was 180bhp but thats rubbish lol runs 0.6 bar on boost has hks dump valve and just got a hks actuator as previos owner has messed about with vac pipes so am gunna make it simple lol by all acounts has a hybrid turbo but still has toyota shell on inlet side but thats about it as far as i no

Aidan-G

Member +
well a trd headgasket wouldnt be much good to you,its .6mm and would bring your compression up alot..id go with the toyota headgasket and new headbolts..and its up to you if you want to change the water pump or replace the valve stem oil seals..

thats if ofcourse your headgasket is gone:)

Jamie Marks

Fresh Recruit
Havn't really looked at engine alot is the water pump the top pulley?as that one is buckled for some reasen lol hope I don't regret buying this car:)

Aidan-G

Member +
well theres a good chance youl be detting like a machine gun with a .6mm gasket in a standard engine,i wouldnt like to chance it unless you had some sort of engine management

maybe talk to dubse7en he uses one i think on standard e/management