Garrett T series turbos . . Info input please

## Garrett T series turbo users . . Info required ##

Hello all,

Im researching into what turbo to go for and weighing many factors and leaning towards a Garrett T series over IHI, Mitsubishi etc . Now I have a lot of information on different variants there are of each type for example T25, T3, T28 etc but what Im looking for now is peoples experiences of these, ones who have actually used or using any of these? If you could please input all information such as : -

* Full turbo spec / trim ( car its off is poss, A/R ratios, trim etc )

* Performance on your car ( spool , max boost, full boost achieved by etc )

* Your overall opinions / comments of the turbo

All information much appreciated and Im sure others can use it too ... :)

Last edited:
@ Aga = I dont know, Im not fussed as what Im aiming for is to create a 1/4 mile star! From research Iv seen that the Garretts have got an excellent pull on boost compared to others along with overall performance. Im in the thinking that a turbo with maybe spool under 2.5 - 3.5 k will not maybe give anything better than 13 seconds ish whereas something with spool around 3.5 - 4k, full boost quickly and then good punch will help achieving much better results on the 1/4 mile? What are your thoughts?

@ Hybrid = Thats excellent mate. Many thanks. Reading through it now! Rep to be added.

..... And still wanting the above information from guys using Garrett turbos please ... :)

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
no prob bud :)

if its of any help all the boys running in the 11s here in malta are running Garrett turbos... the most popular for big hp locally are the t34's & the gt30s ..

kon

Hybrid,

Yes mate, my point exactly above ;). You guys from what Iv read are good are your hobby, may need more advice/help from you in near future :)

GT series you want the T series are outdated.

Something with a BB core.

Thanks mate. Yeh these GT are the newer BB units as far as I know. Only thing is they're quite abit dearer, so thinking of going for an old T series unit, see what I can make from it and then move on.

So c'mon guys, whos running a Garrett ? ? ?

HYBRID

Thanks mate. Yeh these GT are the newer BB units as far as I know. Only thing is they're quite abit dearer, so thinking of going for an old T series unit, see what I can make from it and then move on.

So c'mon guys, whos running a Garrett ? ? ?

If ur going for drag & want an old T series turbo go for a t34 off a rwd sierra cossie.. then u can enjoy very good runs down the qtm.. ;)

if u need help with anything lemme know bud, if i can ill do my best to help :D

kon

Thanks Hybrid mate.

Do you mean the T35 off the 2wd, A/R .55 ? And by the way, If you have MSN mate, and dont mind me chatting to you on there at times, could you PM me you addy?

HYBRID

its a t34 bud not t35 :) & yes thats the one :)

sure i have msn but im rarely on bud! lemme send u my addy ;)

kon

AzE_B

Member +
i dont think alot of ppl use garrett turbos coz thay cost a bit when you can get a td05 off ebay for about £100

H

hoochhenry

Hybrid tdo4l wouldnt that be a good turbo to use for 1/4 mile job???

AzE_B

Member +
has anyone got any results from a hybrid td04 yet be nice to see when its making full boost and what power there making

H

hoochhenry

ive heard they spool very fast on the gt starlet on good on the top end

All Garretts arent expensive, you must maybe be referring to new GT series Garretts. Garrett turbos are found on numerous vehicles as standard and im probably going to be using one of them from another car.

As for many people using Mitsubishi turbos, although they're also excellent units, I havent seen them achieving better results than Garretts hence why im more leaning towards Garrett.

A hybrid TD04L ( presumably from the WRX your referring to ), this could have a number of things done to it too, but I think the thing is with these that unless something can be done so that the pull they have on boost is stronger, they may still not get results like a Garrett T3 or something along them lines. Its the pull Garrett turbos that I love!

H

hoochhenry

Garrett turbos which cars do they come off of ??that run best on the gt turbo and do you need a manifold made for them .just a tough are they better than the ct9 hybird?

bimboy

Member +
I run a t3 super 45., .45hot side, .42cold side, on normal driving conditions it does not come on boost easily which I find good due to gas prices. when my foot is flat it comes on at about 3500-3800rpm and pulls straight to the limiter, I get about 4 psi in 1st gear and all 9psi in secound gear,(external wastegate spring 9psi). I saw that you said you want a nice drag car, I believe this would do the job. It is cheap it costed me 300 US shipped and landed to barbados. It is also brand new and came with a steel braded line and a restrictor inside as well as high quality flanges, the car does not break traction and I need shocks. So the lag will help you out of the hole (good for drag). Also I have a leak around my wastegate flange so response will be better when fixed. Yes the T series is old but it is cheap to buy fix and repair and it has the most wheels and housings to choose from, turbo starlets are old ! don't we beat subs and evos with a little work.