Gear box problem

rarest_glanza

Fresh Recruit
Ive just bought a glanza and the car goes into 1st and 2nd but thats about it...put it in 3rd and the revs just go up but car doesnt move (like its in neutral). Same with 4th and 5th

Car also whines when in 1st and 2nd while driving

Prev owner goes he thinks its the gearbox but im not too sure..

Could it be something else? linkanges? bearings or something?:confused:

Any1 had this prob before?

Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
does sound like a knackered box. the linkages should be ok if it goes into a couple of gears unless one has pooped off or something stupid.

the gearboxes are shite on these cars so its more than likely that

Idrees

Banned
You sure its not the clutch slipping? The car revving and not moving sounds like a slipping clutch.

Fatman

Member +
Ive just bought a glanza and the car goes into 1st and 2nd but thats about it...put it in 3rd and the revs just go up but car doesnt move (like its in neutral). Same with 4th and 5th

Car also whines when in 1st and 2nd while driving

Prev owner goes he thinks its the gearbox but im not too sure..

Could it be something else? linkanges? bearings or something?:confused

So there's absolutely no drive in 3rd, 4th or 5th? How's reverse?

Initial thoughts are selector arms, Finx will probably be able to shed more light on a possible cause.

finx

Member +
as said, starlet gearboxs especially the 4efte turbo boxs (c52 transaxles) are bloody stong for a fwd box. not many others out there that rival them for strength bar some of the euro fwd hatch's. all the other jap boxs are just rubbish in comparison.
the n/a c150 boxs are another story however.... dont touch them

as for your problem, you need to give us some more details
does the gear leaver select 3rd 4th and 5th in the gate properly. ie it doesnt feel sloppy or out of the ordinary at the gear leaver side of things?

bearings wont cause it to not drive in the gears. but they will be the cause of the whining noise. diff bearings are the culprit if the car is rolling and making noise generally. input shaft bearings only rattle on idle or when the clutch is pressed.

if it selects 1st and second it wont be the gearbox linkages or the cables as they are obviously both working to be able to select 1st and 2nd which is both lateral and longitudinal movements

Last edited:
If its the clutch..wont it slip in 1st and 2nd and reverse aswel then??

I forgot to mention that it goes into reverse aswel...

So 1st,2nd and reverse are working..just not 3rd,4th,5th

everything is normal, the way it goes into 3rd, clicks in properly etc but it just wont move after that.. Same with 4th and 5th

when i release the clutch and press accelerator the revs just start climbin but no pulling...?!?!

sounds like a slipping clutch. if u rev it slowly in 3rd 4rth or 5th without hitting boost is it ok ? i.e dose it pull ok ?

ryandavis

Banned
whining is a very big sign that ur gbox is F"%*ED mate..! you probly damaged your rod/main bearings...
gud excuse to wack in a nice cluth wile its ou tho!!

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
They're pretty blood solid actually. They put up with a lot of abuse for a very long time.

they are strong, but they are pretty crap other than that. they whine, crunch, change is notchy and the synchros are weak.

Fatman

Member +
I would suggest you find a better condition example then! If it whines it's got poked bearings, if it's notchy/crunching then you probably have very worn synchros and possibly damage to the gearset.

In good condition they suffer from none of the problems you're describing. I would hardly call the synchro's weak either - quite a few develop a second gear crunch however that's par for the course with a hot hatch with higher KM's, people thrash them and predictably they wear out.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I would suggest you find a better condition example then! If it whines it's got poked bearings, if it's notchy/crunching then you probably have very worn synchros and possibly damage to the gearset.

In good condition they suffer from none of the problems you're describing. I would hardly call the synchro's weak either - quite a few develop a second gear crunch however that's par for the course with a hot hatch with higher KM's, people thrash them and predictably they wear out.

my 1st GT was always a little notchy as well as my girlfriends n/a starlet, my other GT and my spare box (which does need the synchros changed). they all whine a bit and admittedly the synchros are fine on the uk car, but ive had the gearbox rebuilt on my first GT due to 3rd gear synchro going and im not even going to talk about my box on my runabout GT as its a sack of crap anyway :p