Gear Linkage Issue? 1st and 2nd Gear are Sticky - Advice please

Jack138

Member +
Afternoon guys, been having a problem with the '82, every now and again the car feels like it's getting stuck in 1st and 2nd, moving the gear stick out of either gear feels like it's hitting something and you either have to give it a nice jiggle or push it dead hard.

I've done some digging and seems to be a gear linkage issue. I just had a few questions:

Does this sound like a gear linkage issue? (Clutch was replaced few thousand miles ago)
What gear linkage can I use, one from a Glanza, NA Starlet etc?
Is it worth buying second hand or can I get a part new from Toyota? (any idea of number?)
Do you think it would be worth buying these, linky link and having them done at the same time?

I already have a shortshifter.

Thanks so much guys, any light you can shine is appreicated

weeJohn

Lifer
They are really dear from Toyota, over £100 each from memory so I would look for a second hand one personally. The bearings make a slight difference, there are much cheaper versions out there that do the same job, its only a rubber bush its replacing. Skateboard wheel bearings are the same size.

bongskag

Member +
They are really dear from Toyota, over £100 each from memory so I would look for a second hand one personally. The bearings make a slight difference, there are much cheaper versions out there that do the same job, its only a rubber bush its replacing. Skateboard wheel bearings are the same size.

its most likely the linkage on the far right of the box , ( when looking at the front of the car )

this came loose on night and I lost 1st and 2nd. turns out the bolts that hold the linkage in place came loose when I looked the next day. The rest of the gears were fine. 3rd 4th 5th, thats how I made it back home :drive:

Jack138

Member +
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate the support.

Can I buy second hand ones from a N/A starlet or Glanza?