Gearbox, diff & transfer box recommendations HERE >

oilman

Trader
Getting the right oil for gearboxes, diffs and transfer boxes can be tricky, so please ask here if there is any information that you need.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your car. e.g.
Make:
Model:
Year:
Manual/Auto:
Performance Modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc.)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, any transmission problems
What recommendation are you looking for? Gearbox, diffs, limited slip diffs, transfer boxes etc

Any oil we recommend is available to buy from us (if you would like to) for delivery throughout the UK and many destinations Worldwide. We offer a really extensive range of oils and lubricants from 11 major oil manufacturers at prices much lower than the high street and main dealers. We stock oils and fluids that meet pretty much all manufacturers and international specifications. Our brands include, Silkolene, Fuchs, Gulf, Castrol, Motul, Mobil, Millers Oils, Shell, Valvoline, Amsoil and Redline.

Plus, as the Club is a member of our club discount scheme you can get discounts of at least 10% across our entire range.

To redeem your 10% club discount simply use the following club discount code at the checkout.

TOYOTAGT

Once the code is added at the checkout you will then receive your extra 10% club discount. However this discount code cannot be used in conjunction with other offer codes, BUT the code can be used in conjunction with any of our offers on this page HERE that do not require offer codes.

Any questions please ask here or contact us via email at sales@opiepoils.co.uk

Finally, if there are any products we don't stock and you have difficulty getting hold of elsewhere, let us know and we'll see if we can stock them.

We look forward to being of help!

Cheers
Tim, Opie Oils

You can also contact us by phone on +44 1209 202944
(All oils recommended are available to buy online at my web site)

thefalls

Member +
Hi,in need for some advice.
What would you recommend for a Cusco RS LSD for daily drive and spirited driving.
Note that many people complain about the noise/clunking with these LSDs.

Since its a new lsd,can you advise about the break in oil to be used as well ?

Many Thanks.

Fer

Fresh Recruit
Good day oilman.
I indeed need your help with this.
My clutch just died on me, and also I have been having these issue:
I feel that my gear changes are like harsh and not smooth, I was advised that my gear oil needs a change.
I have been searching on the web and I found that 75w-90 fully synthetic is what they recommend, talking to a few shop owners they told me that there is no need for me to use fully synthetic.

So what would you advise, fully synthetic o could use semi synthetic?
I was thinking in Liqui Moly.

If I use fully synthetic these are the two options I found on their site:
Vollsynthetisches Getriebeöl (GL 5) SAE 75 W-90
Hochleistungs-Getriebeöl (GL4+) SAE 75 W-90

source: http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/...ndocument&land=GB&voilalang=e&voiladb=web.nsf

If I use semi synthetic i believe this are the options:
Hochleistungs-Getriebeöl (GL3+) SAE 75 W-80
Truck Getriebeöl HC GL4 75 W-80
Truck Hochleistungs-Getriebeöl (GL3+) SAE 75 W-80

source: http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/...ndocument&land=GB&voilalang=e&voiladb=web.nsf

Year: 1993
Manual/Auto: Manual
Performance Modifications: t25 turbo, headers, custom made downpipe, Boost up to 0.9bar, decat with 2" and fujitsubo exhaust, cars around 170hp.
Driving style: daily driver, occasional visit to track days (1/4 & 1/8 of mile), and of course the spirited driving that is a must.

Your advise will be very much appreciated, if you think of another brand let me know, the only thing is that here in Guatemala, Central America, its a little difficult to find brands other than, Motul, Liqui MOly, etc.

Thank you.

Last edited:

oilman

Trader
Hi

I don't sell liqui moly or have anything to do with them, so I don't recommend their oils as I don't know them.

If you can get Motul Gear 300 or Redline MT90, they would be ideal.

Cheers

Tim

Fer

Fresh Recruit
Thank you Tim.
I'll see what I can find here, I believe Motul Gear 300 is sell here the other one, not sure.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Make:Toyota -)
Model: Glanza V
Year: 1998
Manual/Auto: AUTO
Performance Modifications: Breathing mods, exhaust, intercooler - standard turbo, current boost at 0.8 Bar
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc.) Road, mainly granddad style with ocassional spirited driving

Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, any transmission problems
177 bhp roughly, probably less than that. Transmission is fine, apart from when I put in R it knocks inside the gearbox (not every time though). performance wise no probs, 90 000 miles by the way.

What recommendation are you looking for? Gearbox, diffs, limited slip diffs, transfer boxes etc
The Gearbox oil and why there is a knock when I put it in R?

oilman

Trader
I don't know why it's knocking sometimes. Sometimes these things can be as simple as the oil has worn out and needs replacing, but they can also be mechanical. If changing the oil doesn't sort it out, I'd get a garage to have a look at it or ask someone on here who knows more about it than me.

Due to the gearbox specs I would go for either the Amsoil ATF, Motul Multi ATF, Fuchs ATF4400 or Millers Millermatic ATF SPIII.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-442-atfs.aspx

Cheers

Tim

DancerEP82

Member +
Hi there oil man wondering if you could help me please I'm looking for some gearbox oil for my 1995 starlet GT Turbo iv just had it rebuilt by a friend with all new synchros and shift forks its a C56 box with a TRD Mechanical differential I will be running between 200/250 BHP as a daily driver and fast road use with the occasional track day once in a blue moon !

Your help will be greatly appreciated :)

ILLKIDD

Fresh Recruit
Make: Toyota
Model: Chaser
Year: 1996
Manual/Auto: Manual
Performance Modifications: BPU
Driving style: Street & Track
Any other information that may be relevant: Transmission: Downshifting difficulties when cold. Works fine + no strange noises under normal circumstances. LSD: High pitch whining sound on track after 4-5 laps. Not sure yet if it is the LSD. No weird noises & locks wel under normal circumstances.
What recommendation are you looking for?: Gearbox & LSD. Something better than OEM.

oilman

Trader
Hi

You need a 75w-90 for the gearbox and diff and here are the ones we have.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-mtfs-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

If you want to go for the best, the Millers CRX 75w-90 NT, Gulf Competition, Motul Gear 300, Redline MT90 and Millers TRX are ideal for the gearbox. The Castrol Universal, Motul Motylgear and Fuchs Gear Syn are all decent alternatives. The Fuchs Syn 5, Motul Gear 300LS, Millers CRX NT LS, Gulf Competition LS and Redline GL5 are ideal for the diff.

Cheers

Tim

thefalls

Member +
Hi,i have access to Castrol EPX 80w 90 gear oil.
Would you recommend it for C52 manual transmission with Cusco LSD [type RS]?
A friend used the same gear oil in his C52 box with Kaaz LSD and it was very quiet.
Many thanks.