gearbox noise help

dac69er

Super Moderator
My ep85 is starting to get on my tits. its one thing after another.

now its on the road i have been driving it around to find any other little problems with it. has a few minor things but the most annoying and possibly most costly is the sound from the gearbox.

seems to be getting worse but could just be me.

1. when you sit still out of gear with the clutch pedal up it make a kinda grindy knocky sound, press the clutch down and it stops instantly.

2. sound goes up and down with the engine revs.

3. while your driving you can hear it (its not mega loud) put the clutch in and it stops again.

4. sometimes when your in gear and your at the point between accelerating and using the engine breaking you can hear the grindy sorta sound but louder. 1st and 2nd gear is probably the worst but can also hear it in 3rd and 4th. this doesnt always seem to make a noise though.

clutch feels fine and gearchanges are perfect. oil has been replaced with 75/90.

any ideas?

dac69er

Super Moderator
that is what im thinking, but surely the sound wouldnt get worse when between acceleration and overrun would it? thats the only things thats concerning me atm!

would be good if it was that but the way this car has been so far its probably something internal in the gearbox that costs a million pounds from toyota :(

GTnomez

Member +
As i said before, if the noise stops when the clutch is engaged then it could be the release bearing.

However, if it makes a noise when released and while driving then it could be your mainshaft bearing in the box.

jam35

Member +
my release bearing on my glanza got worse the more it was driven and eventually just burnt out.dont know how easy it is to get the box off yours but must be worth replacing so if it is something else,you can get on top of it before it gets worse.

dac69er

Super Moderator
basically the same box but with a transfer box bolted to it, so nothing majorly different tbh. will come off much the same, just alot heavier.

i dont know if ill have the time to get the box off for a while yet. need to change the box on my GT too as that is a grinding, wobbly pile of crap :(

weakboy2

Member +
its NOT the release bearing, sorry to say, as you would notice it more with load put on it, i just changed my GT box as i had the same problem, its probs the input shaft bearings, or worse, all of them. mine was so bad it had started to sound like a straight cut gearbox through the gears. Also on idle if you put you head near the box it was growling and clacking all over the place :(

in theory as long as the gears are ok dunc, should just need all the bearings replaced and it will be dandy.

bloody cars

dac69er

Super Moderator
fucking peice of shit. everyone is launching about with 300bhp and mine is fucked with standard power and being driven by granny :(

rear diff has a bit of a whine at 70mph too. im hoping that is me putting the wrong oil in though. doubt it though, probably fucked too known my luck :(

Lawrence

Member +
When i first read this i thought main shaft, my release bearing went on my corsa was just like a swish noise when you dip the clutch, from what you said sounds like it gets worst with load, this happend on a friends punto. hmm i think i need a box soon lol so you better not hog them all bloody gearbox's are crap. mines just got exsesive play one side can feel with the drive shaft when underneath but there aint no play in the cv after all that i can feel.

Lawrence

Member +
fucking peice of shit. everyone is launching about with 300bhp and mine is fucked with standard power and being driven by granny :(

rear diff has a bit of a whine at 70mph too. im hoping that is me putting the wrong oil in though. doubt it though, probably fucked too known my luck :(

Lol grannys tend to crunch them in gears and stuff though.

dac69er

Super Moderator
When i first read this i thought main shaft, my release bearing went on my corsa was just like a swish noise when you dip the clutch, from what you said sounds like it gets worst with load, this happend on a friends punto. hmm i think i need a box soon lol so you better not hog them all bloody gearbox's are crap. mines just got exsesive play one side can feel with the drive shaft when underneath but there aint no play in the cv after all that i can feel.

its not under load mate. under load its relatively fine. its in neutral with no load or when your between being on and off the power when in gear. just noisy when there is no load, which does sound like a bearing tbh.

oh and the 4wd gearbox is different anyway so wont be hogging any of them unfortunately. got another 2 shit boxes that need doing up too. one in the garage and one on the car!

Lawrence

Member +
like i said mate. gearbox is smooth and quite in every other way. it feels the same as my girlfriends ep91 box and that is spot on

I think metal particles over the years build up and sit in the oil, mine changes gear perfectly fine but when i did an oil change a while back i left the oil in my garage in a bowl being lazy, when i finally went to get rid of it there was like loads of thick metal gunk in the bottom. not good for bearings and stuff was all i was thinking.

dac69er

Super Moderator
think im going to have to remove it and get it rebuilt i suppose :(

£700 to buy £1500 to repair :(

Texx

Super Moderator
its NOT the release bearing, sorry to say, as you would notice it more with load put on it, i just changed my GT box as i had the same problem, its probs the input shaft bearings, or worse, all of them. mine was so bad it had started to sound like a straight cut gearbox through the gears. Also on idle if you put you head near the box it was growling and clacking all over the place :(

in theory as long as the gears are ok dunc, should just need all the bearings replaced and it will be dandy.

bloody cars

I agree, sounds more likely to be noisy transmission bearings than a worn out clutch release bearing. The trouble is there are so many bearings in the box it'll be difficult to identify the ones causing the noise, unless they are so worn is blatantly obvious.

Do you get any clutch judder or drag when engaging or disengaging the clutch?

Galen

Lifer
Sound's the same as what my gearbox was doing. It lasted me 6 months daily driving before it finally gave up though. But it was the same, growling noise on idle, went away when clutch was pressed and when driving the noise got worse the more it was rev'd.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I agree, sounds more likely to be noisy transmission bearings than a worn out clutch release bearing. The trouble is there are so many bearings in the box it'll be difficult to identify the ones causing the noise, unless they are so worn is blatantly obvious.

Do you get any clutch judder or drag when engaging or disengaging the clutch?

maybe a little bit of drag but could just be me. its a stock clutch and more than likely the original one. it doesnt slip or judder though. feels fine tbh.

i think im going to just have to have the box off and get it reconned i think :(

ill keep it going while i sort a few little bits on my runabout GT then i suppose ill get the box off and get it sent away for a recon. hopefully it shouldnt cost too much as its its only bearings.

how much would people say i would be looking at for a rebuild based on what im saying? dont want to be raped with the price.