Gearbox or Fcuked Clutch? Help please

Toymota

Member +
Hi Guys,
I havent been driving my glanza much over the last 6 or 7 months and i have been driving it recently and something i not right. I have the Ogura ORC clutch with lightened flywheel and im not sure if it is this that is broke or my gearbox. I have never done any 1/4 mile launches and have only driven it hard a few times really. Its really hard to get in and out of gears most of the time now and sometimes, when i put the clutch in, there is almost like a delay before it disengauages (spelling). if i rev it before putting it in and out of gears, its not too bad. is it the clutch or gearbox?
Me and mike plan to take it apart to have a look but not sure when we are going to have the time.
Thanks for you help :)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
i had exactly the same problem that your having with the orc clutch also,

but unfortunately i never really figured out wat it is!

is it worse in certain gears?

it was always harder for me to get into 1st 2nd and 3rd, the rest were ok.

if i blipped the throttle before downshifting it would be fine, but without that it would be near impossible!!

i ended up getting my gearbox rebuilt and it seems to have cured all the problems ( still using the same clutch ) and havent had any problems since.

hope you get it sorted tho

also wat i found strange was if i drove the car hard, the problem wouldnt be so bad, but if i sat in traffic and had to keep stop and starting it got really bad, but maybe that was just psychological lol :s

Last edited:

Chris@CCM

Member +
i had a prob like that with my orc clutch like it was not clearing rite on the down shift but it just went away . i would just check the clutch slave cyl is free and working ok befor u pull the gear box off . i would try driving it for a bit to see if it will free up might just be the plate sticking in the clutch as i think thats what the prob was with mine.

Toymota

Member +
well the clutch isnt new so should be well run in by now. im really hoping its not the clutch that is the problem because they are so expensive!

i am running TD04 so just wondering if my gearbox cant take it? im sure other TD04 users with more boost dont have any problems with their standard gearboxes.

All the gears seem to be difficult to get in and out of gears, especially at low revs. my boyfriend said we should check the gearlinkages too.

it literally seemed fine one mintute and then i drove it one day and it started playing up

Kelly

Member +
Emma bens is quite similair sometimes wont go in gear sometimes have a job of pulling it out. We bled the clutch fluid and got a braided clutch line which improved it alot but stil does it every now and then. Maybe one of them or both might work for you :)

Rik

Member +
Yeah, best thing is to do all the easy things first to see if that fixes the problem before taking the box out! I have the same clutch as you but no problems (just that damn noise! lol) but the other week my 3rd gear syncro went, drove the day before, fine...day after, crunch! So even if they feel fine, something can cock up the day after :(

Hope ya get it sorted!

Toymota

Member +
i think mine started with the 3rd gear synchro going actually. i remember a while ago it started getting difficult to get in to 3rd, especially when cold

Rory

Lifer
I would try all linkages and cables first.
If the car has been sitting for a while, then things start to seize, inc gear boxes.

This happend to me the last time i changed the box out for my spare one.
Was tough to get in and out of gear, but freed off after a bit of driving.

Toymota

Member +
i have still been using the car, just not on a regular basis. maybe once or twice a week. it was off the road for about a month with no tax a short while ago and thats when the problems started, do you think it may have started to sieze?

Rory

Lifer
A month, mabey not then.
Does you clutch pedal still feel the same as before?
Mabey its sticking slightly?

My gearbox above was off for about a year, so i cant see it seizing within a month.

Rory

Lifer
Hmm, weird. :confused:

There is a bracket on the gearbox, that holds the shifter cables.
Slacken this off a bit, and see if it changes at all.
3 bolts

I had to do this once, and it was fine was i tightened it again. :confused:

Toymota

Member +
thanks rory and everyone. i have made a note of all your suggestions and hope to try them this weekend!
i think im gonna be takin the car off the road soon anyway as want to strip it and rebuild it.

thanks everyone. ill come back to you if still no change :)

Starletto

Fresh Recruit
Hello, i have experienced similar problems a year ago.

I don't think it is the clutch plates/gearbox.

It is the clutch pedal and pump.

It seems as if air has got into it.

You could fix the problem by changing the clutch oil.

hope that helps.

cheers

Adam_Glanza

Member +
this might be a really silly suggestion,

but when i first was struggling 2 get into gear, i realised my bloody carpet matt had slid down underneath the peddles!!

it was restricting the throttle and clutch pedals which i didnt realise because everything felt normal,

im sure it isnt the same case but it helped me quite a bit!

im sure im just very stupid but worth a check lol

Toymota

Member +
i know it is not the mat under the pedal cos i have to adjust the mat everytime i get in the car to make sure it is not catching.

the gearbox oil was last done when i had my TD04 fitted about 8 months ago or something?