Gearbox!

lingl9z

Member +
Basicly last month or so my gear box has been kinda felt a bit odd, Eg putting it in second sometimes has some form of delay if that makes sence, and if i do it fast it kinda crunches, same with third, though today i was driving it and there was none of this? could it just be a knackered GB? bare in mind the cars only done 65k miles!

Cheers.

if its crunching into gear it sounds like the snycro has gone on 2nd and 3rd, off the top of my head snycromesh is the ring that slows down the gear so you can select it. Obviously at a guess your gear is spinning to fast to be engaged . I would suspect a Gb as its offern more expensive to replace singular parts than replace gb with reconned one

lingl9z

Member +
if its crunching into gear it sounds like the snycro has gone on 2nd and 3rd, off the top of my head snycromesh is the ring that slows down the gear so you can select it. Obviously at a guess your gear is spinning to fast to be engaged . I would suspect a Gb as its offern more expensive to replace singular parts than replace gb with reconned one

cheers bud, any idea how long it'll last even will it just die in the end or?

squeekyduck

Member +
Ye its the syncro buddy. The first syncro to normally go is the one between 2nd and 4rd. The part alone is cheap to buy from Toyota but obviously its a pig of a job to change if the box is on the car. The whole box will have to be opened.

lingl9z

Member +
Ye its the syncro buddy. The first syncro to normally go is the one between 2nd and 4rd. The part alone is cheap to buy from Toyota but obviously its a pig of a job to change if the box is on the car. The whole box will have to be opened.

Cheers buddy, if i take the box out etc isit an easy job? i figure it'd be quiet hard for a novice? =[

cheers bud, any idea how long it'll last even will it just die in the end or?

it should be fine for a bit mine catches from cold but once warm doesnt, its been doing it for a year now with no problem if you havent done gb oil cheange give it a go i was advised at work to do so but no luck with mine
as for time wise just gently select otherwise it will let go quite quickly

i wouldnt want to attempt it i have been putting mine off for a year now and i still dont fancy taking the box housing off... and i work in the trade.... lol prob is you may find more than just that needing replacing

lingl9z

Member +
Cheers mate! +1 well i'll give Gbox oil change a go when i get some spare time, any idea how much oil it'll take? Yeah heard its a nasty job lol, spose it'd make more sence to source a second hand one just wonder how much labour charges would be to swap the box! =[

squeekyduck

Member +
You should be fine for a few months buddy. Just take it easy changing up to 3rd from 2nd and changing down from 3rd to 2nd.

I opened up my box recently and there is no visable damage done to the box and my syncro has been gone since I bought the car (18 months)

lingl9z

Member +
You should be fine for a few months buddy. Just take it easy changing up to 3rd from 2nd and changing down from 3rd to 2nd.

I opened up my box recently and there is no visable damage done to the box and my syncro has been gone since I bought the car (18 months)

Cheers bud, so i take it its a pretty common problem with the starlet boxes! ill drive it till it fails then buy a recon one or somthing, will it do any long term damage if it fails?

off the top of my head its 3litres ish .... 75-90 oil toyota use castrol. Remove the drain plug from the diff/by the n/s d/shaft after draining it, put bung on diff back in and fill until it starts to dribble out the one on the front of the box (sorry which you also need to take out)

you might loose those gears(not be able to select them) so idealy dont want to let it get that bad. Labour cost wouldnt be too bad to get out but its the recon that will sting you

squeekyduck

Member +
Cheers bud, so i take it its a pretty common problem with the starlet boxes! ill drive it till it fails then buy a recon one or somthing, will it do any long term damage if it fails?

Ye its pretty common. The damage it will do is wear down the teeth of the gear so you will basically have no 3rd gear!

lingl9z

Member +
you might loose those gears(not be able to select them) so idealy dont want to let it get that bad. Labour cost wouldnt be too bad to get out but its the recon that will sting you

Cheers for info buddy! might give it a shot when i got some free time along with the other stuff i need to sort out! argh!
:(

Cheers for info buddy! might give it a shot when i got some free time along with the other stuff i need to sort out! argh!
:(

yeah i know that feeling matey, if you get stuck just pm me give you a talk through of bits to do..... and if you do attempt it let me know what its like and you can come down mine lol :)

lingl9z

Member +
yeah i know that feeling matey, if you get stuck just pm me give you a talk through of bits to do..... and if you do attempt it let me know what its like and you can come down mine lol :)

Haha cheers buddy appreciate it! Don't spose your any good at re-fiting an fmic kit lol =]