getting driveshaft nuts off

ralphie_EP82

Member +
having an absolute battle with the driveshaft nuts on my ep82 i've tried heating and covering in wd-40 but using a medium sized ratchet i'm going to get a bigger heavy duty one but if this still wont take it off i don't know what to do other than hammer and chisel, any one got any advice? Ryan.

stuarty1

Member +
wat socket u using i had trobble geting my mates of. used a long 30mm socket heat the nut its the only thing u can do or a air gun my advice is heat the shit out of it a big pull bar and some one heavy to jump on it

ralphie_EP82

Member +
thanks for the advice guys i'll pick up a breaker bar tomorrow, ye it was 30mm i was using I bought a 29 incase it would be a tighter fit but its just too small. I'll try the breaker bar tomorrow can't wait!

weeJohn

Lifer
As a last resort, if you cant get it loose with the breaker bar, put the socket and bar on the nut with it pointing towards the front of the car. Then drive it forward so the bar hits the ground and turns the nut anticlockwise. You might need to find a not very bright mate to put his foot on the socket so it doen`t pop off.

corofin12345

Member +
a lever is the only answer...get the breaker bar on there and get a solid hollow pipe to extend the breaker bar and off you go.. the bigger the lever the greater the force aplied on the nut.. btw.. did you remove the safety pin??

@john, that will only work for the drivers side hub nut.. backwards for passenger side.. ;)

here's what i mean by a lever on the breaker bar..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_um-77hZWY

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
a lever is the only answer...get the breaker bar on there and get a solid hollow pipe to extend the breaker bar and off you go.. the bigger the lever the greater the force aplied on the nut.. btw.. did you remove the safety pin??

@john, that will only work for the drivers side hub nut.. backwards for passenger side.. ;)

here's what i mean by a lever on the breaker bar..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_um-77hZWY

Exactly. A nice piece of scaffolding bar will work a treat. Just be careful as if its still too tight,the breaker bar will break at the swivel joint and the bar could then slip and damage wings etc.

ralphie_EP82

Member +
thanks for the advice yesterday i picked up a breaker bar and got my bigger m8 to stand on it whilst i held my foot against it, now to get on with gettin the engine out, sure this will be fun....:p

c3dpo

Member +
crazy thing, i soaked number two for hours used breaker bar and all sorts.

Then just propped my ass agasint the wall and behold I was He-Man well I thought it was funny :p

c3dpo

Member +
you popped em then :)

Just remember when putting back in DONT Hit the actual shaft with a metal hammer, otherwise you will be rethreading that nut back and fourth for hours ;o)