Google Chrome OS

sampsonite

Fresh Recruit
Hi Guys,

Not sure if any of you are interested in this but i got my grubby mits on the open source version of Google Chrome OS today.

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but will have a crack tonight.

If you wanna have a go you will need to have either VMware Player Click Here or VirtualBox Click Here and obviously the image file

VMware Image - Click Here

Sun VirtualBox - Click Here

Any problems with links or anything gimme a shout and i'll give you another link

Google are taking over the world!!! :D

Bit

gv1.3

Admin
I wouldnt mind giving it a blast, please post up the image links and say where you got them from. I dont like installing OS's that have passed through many hands and had god knows what included. If you have the checksum even better.

Thanks.

Gryzor

Admin

gv1.3

Admin
yeah dude I use it all the time - Im talking to you from a VMware machine as we speak :)

I have a site to site link from my VMware environment to a live network and dont want anything running that is not from a confirmed source. I could set it up off the virtual network I am running but it would still need access to my Internet connection to get a feel for how it works and again I dont want anything of unknown origin having access to my Internet connection.

Should have just grabbed the ISO from google when they had it up for download.... I wonder is it available again.

Gryzor

Admin
yeah dude I use it all the time - Im talking to you from a VMware machine as we speak :)

I have a site to site link from my VMware environment to a live network and dont want anything running that is not from a confirmed source. I could set it up off the virtual network I am running but it would still need access to my Internet connection to get a feel for how it works and again I dont want anything of unknown origin having access to my Internet connection.

Should have just grabbed the ISO from google when they had it up for download.... I wonder is it available again.

ah just break the vpn to the live network and hot spot it, if your worried about your connection. ;)

gv1.3

Admin
Ive three machines running VMware.

Two use the native WIFI connection on the laptops. The third is a proper server that is multihomed.

Gryzor

Admin
Ive three machines running VMware.

Two use the native WIFI connection on the laptops. The third is a proper server that is multihomed.

I was thinking of getting a mobile operator dongle, incase the wired isp goes down, but I suppose you can't really call that multihomed.

gv1.3

Admin
When I am out on site and giving demos I use a AT&T dongle... its pretty fast and works very well. Thats kind of why I use direct access on the laptops as it then doesnt matter what Internet access method you are using on the base OS, VMware will have internet access.

You kind of could call it multihomed in that you will have two network adapters. Unless whatever you are running is mission critical or you need to run your VMware machines away from home I wouldnt bother to be honest.

If it is in a static business environment a good solution would be a mobile router or a cisco with a HWIC. you can then set automatic failover of the network default gateway from the primary Internet connection to the GSM based connection.

The nice thing about doing it the above way is that your Internet redundancy is not only limited to the VMware box but will also be available to any machine on your network.

Gryzor

Admin
I'll be moving house in the new year , and I'll be working from home more so I will be looking for some more details on a multihomed setup and the cisco hwic sounds good, but it'll depend on the available isp s

gv1.3

Admin
I spent some time deploying setups like that mate so if you need any advice or want to run your plans by someone Id be happy to help if I can.

@Sheldon - you can install that OS on your PC. Senor Gryzor mentioned VMware as it makes the install nice and simple and doesnt put any of your existing setup at risk. Its a great tool for those who like playing around and its free.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
I spent some time deploying setups like that mate so if you need any advice or want to run your plans by someone Id be happy to help if I can.

@Sheldon - you can install that OS on your PC. Senor Gryzor mentioned VMware as it makes the install nice and simple and doesnt put any of your existing setup at risk. Its a great tool for those who like playing around and its free.

i have a laptop called the bitch... gets abbused with OS's lol..

will try this when i have some free time :)

gv1.3

Admin
VMware would save you having to format, reinstall, partition etc... you should give it a try Its much cleaner, easier and faster.

gv1.3

Admin
http://g-community.info/what-is-google-chrome-os-t147.html

looks like this is good for me.

the web browser is what i use most! lol

Cloud computing is great and all but it worries me how entangled google are getting in peoples everyday lives.

So..

Email stored in the cloud
Operating system does nothing but connect to the cloud
Files stored in the cloud
Contacts stored in the cloud
Documents edited in the cloud
Mobile Phone does everything in the cloud
Everyone Searches using google

What happens.... if the cloud goes offline? What happens when google hit critical mass and decide to start charging for services?

I love google's innovative approach to how we use the internet and the services they supply... but they seem to be putting their hand in everything now and they seem to me to be becoming Microsoft with a nice young and friendly mask on.

This post is beyond the scope of this thread but its an interesting topic nonetheless :)

Gryzor

Admin
amazons clouds are expensive and still a bit slow as far as internal connections are concerned. To me cloud computer is taking a step back 20 years to VMS Vax mini computers were your basically sharing processor time. PC are still cheap in comparison and cloud computering is only worth while if you have lots of users.

Its the latest fade and will be replaced in 2 years.