Got a deal on a TD04L

sMARTINside

Member +
Hi, I am going to see a TD04L turbo that a local dude has to sell. He says it's
brand new and sells that for 300 canadian dollars (147 pounds).

I will go to see it on Sunday afternoon. What precisely should I check besides the shaft play? The model number?

It comes with some kind of adapter plates (for Civics I imagine) and a boost controller at that price. Is that a good price (147 pounds)?

Looking forward for your answers.
Regards,
Martin

dac69er

Super Moderator
probably not brand new. probably just fully reconditioned. if so,then that sounds a good price. if he is throwing in a few extra bits thats even better. anything you dont want you can sell on ebay.

sMARTINside

Member +
I'll check these elements. But I have a question. I have seen different TD04L models on the Net. I've seen that the 13G seems to be the one I see the most. Is there different models? Which model would be the best and why... Or are they all the same?

Gilly2006

Member +
yes there all different, 13G for example is smaller than a 16G. 13G seems to be the best because its spools up in an aceptable ammout of revs on the 4EFTE.
You should check the shaft play, i.e trying to move the compressor wheel up/down, side to side. also check to see if there are any cracks in the wastegate. ul find a flap where the actuator arm attches 2. open this arm and check for cracks around the edge of the wastegate hole. also just check to see if the water and oil lines aren't blocked. and it should spin by hand without ANY resistance whatsoever!
Hope this helps dude.

sMARTINside

Member +
Thanks a lot, Ok I just asked the guy to give me the numbers on the turbo. Hope it's a 13G. I just read that the 13G means the compressor wheel model that is on it.

pricey for a TD04L

Oh yeah, How much do you guys pay for a turbo like that usually?

Gilly2006

Member +
Oh yeah, How much do you guys pay for a turbo like that usually?

well if its brand new like you say it is, and there no shaft play and the compressor housing spins freely its quite cheap! lol! you can pick a used TD04 up for about 50-80GBP depending on how many miles they have done!

sMARTINside

Member +
Unfortunatley, I am only going to see it tomorrow afternoon at 6 pm (still will daylight so I see it clear) I will check all that I know and all thet you mates told me to check. If it's in good shape, I'll take it. He really stated that it is brand spanking new! Hope all of this is true...

starbogt

Member +
I've just bought a td04l 13g with 16k miles on it for 60 quid delivered! it depends on what you're after.

sMARTINside

Member +
The guy didn't give me any feedback yet, so I won't be going tonight. He's frigging hard to contact...

Wow 60 quid = 60 GBP That's a very good price. That's the first reason why people go for a TD04L, because it's a cheap to buy turbo that suits well on the 4E-FTE as an upgrade and that are easy to find, so maybe yes... The turbo I'm after is a bit expensive at 147...

sMARTINside

Member +
I never had a feedback from the clown seller, so i'll let it go! Apart from that, I think I will stay with my CT-9b, for this year. I want to buy myself a house, since I have to move for the 30th of June... Changes are coming. Priorities always will be first.

sMARTINside

Member +
Ok, some feedback from the seller. Here is what is written on the turbo:

compressor housing writings:
49377-04300
tdo4l 010625182

exaust side writings:
zz-14020

Middle of turbo writings:
1b304h

The most important number is the
49377-04300, as I could see. This gives me this info: The turbo is a TDO4L-13T/6.

So it isn't a 13G, but a 13T

The difference is here:

comparaisonTD04-.jpg

As you can see, the compressor wheel on the 13T has more diameter, but the trim is smaller. What is the trim exactly?

Gilly2006

Member +
just looks like the compressor wheel is ever so slightly bigger. but the trim is less, don't know what the trim is. but i don't think there will be much difference between the G and the T.

sMARTINside

Member +
I just found this link: http://www.ztechz.net/id4.html

It says this:

Wheel "trim" refers to the squared ratio of the smaller diameter divided by the larger diameter times 100. Generally, the larger the trim number the more flow the wheel has.

For compressor wheels , larger trim tends to mean slightly lower efficiency.

For "families" of turbine wheels (those with the same inducer diameter), larger trim usually means better flow with less backpressure but longer spool time.

So as I see it might be even better, thant the 13G...?