Got a promblem :/

spence

Member +
When the engine is running and out if gear the gearbox/ clutch whines but as soon as I press the clutch pedal it goes away, can anyone shed any knowledge if what it could be please?

Iv just recently replaced my engine and it never did it before on my other engine.

It really is starting to baffle me and my dad

Anyone please help

Cheers karl

Texx

Super Moderator
Unbolt the clutch slave cylinder and with engine running push the end of the clutch fork to the left. If the noise stops then it's likely the clutch release bearing is worn, if the noise continues there may be some wear in the input shaft bearings in the gearbox.

spence

Member +
Iv been told at work by the Master Technition that it deffinetly is the release bearing :/

Dont really wanna fork out £100 for a new clutch kit after iv just spent £970 on a new engine :'(

AdamB

Member +
Why wasn't the clutch replaced when you put a new engine in?

You don't have to get a whole new clutch if the friction material is good, just get a new release bearing.

spence

Member +
Why wasn't the clutch replaced when you put a new engine in?

You don't have to get a whole new clutch if the friction material is good, just get a new release bearing.

1 reason was because I dont have the money coz the engine has took it all n 2. I want to get a clutch kit do there's no need to take it back off when the clutch starts to slip in the near future.... If it does that is

AdamB

Member +
Not being funny mate and don't take an offence, but the fact the box has to come back off now to replace the clutch, it would have worked out cheaper in the first place to do it all in one and do it once.
If its your daily and you need it to commute then fair enough for trying to get it back on the road so quick.

Getting a clutch depends on where you want to go in the future?

spence

Member +
Not being funny mate and don't take an offence, but the fact the box has to come back off now to replace the clutch, it would have worked out cheaper in the first place to do it all in one and do it once.
If its your daily and you need it to commute then fair enough for trying to get it back on the road so quick.

Getting a clutch depends on where you want to go in the future?

Well im a mechanic so its not costing me anything to do it because im doing it myself and had the old engine and box on my back garden stripping it ready for the new engine and in dont/didnt have money to buy another clutch for it and plus i thought it was going to be ok because it was fine on the old engine and didnt make any noise's at all so thats another reason why i didnt changed it because i never had any problems before hand

spence

Member +
And now to make things piss me off even more, the speedo isnt even reading now, iv checked the speedo cable and that doesnt spin when the engine is runnin so i removed the cable and removed what it screws onto the box with and that spins.

Theres nothing wrong with the cable or anything because that moves freely through the casing on the cable.

Last edited:

spence

Member +
Does anyone know if the uk starlet speedo drive (the bit that sits on the gearbox and the cable screws onto it) fits on the Glanza?

spence

Member +
was it goin fast enough to register

yeah, it use to registar straight away but now for some reason its not moving.

Befor i screwed the cable back onto it i just clipped the converter onto the gearbox to see if it moved but it doesnt

spence

Member +
yeah, it use to registar straight away but now for some reason its not moving.

Befor i screwed the cable back onto it i just clipped the converter onto the gearbox to see if it moved but it doesnt

Does anyone know if a speedo drive off a uk starlet fits on and reads properly on the dashboard on a Glanza?

Last edited:

studoc72

Member +
Take out your dial cluster in the car and get someone to turn the speedo cable on the outside and look if its turning at the other end on the inside of the car. you have probably pulled it through too far when you removed the engine and gear box and its not sticking through far enough inside the car. I had this issue when i fitted a speed convertor your cable is probly fine ther just a pain in the ass. Its a matter of getting enough cable sticking out each end. Make sure the outer cover for the cable at the gearbox end is pushed as far into its metal holder as possible this was what caused my probs.