gotta replace rocket gasket, bit of advice please :)

shane01

Member +
right going about gettin a new rocket seal a toyota later to fit cause im gettin oil leak on the side, i seen abit of rubber sticking out where obviously i need a new 1 , and i need to know if i got to order anything else for it?

billybob

Untrusted Seller
right going about gettin a new rocket seal a toyota later to fit cause im gettin oil leak on the side, i seen abit of rubber sticking out where obviously i need a new 1 , and i need to know if i got to order anything else for it?

seal should do the job just put a bit of gasket sealer round up at the cam sprocket caps should be fine

350ep70gr

Member +
nothing major mate! Just the seal that goes round the cover.
It has some seals at the bottom of the 5 nut tho..but should be reusable.
Make sure you use some selant on the edges of the four corner cam caps and on the half round seal at the edge of one of the cams.

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
coversealer.png

weeJohn

Lifer
Doesnt need to be done when changing the rocker cover gasket, those points are for sealing the cam caps that should not need to come off.

All you need to do is remove the top mount (if fitted) and take the 5 capped silver nuts off the top of the rocker cover. Use a large flat screwdriver to prise the rocker cover off. There is an overhang on the front right side of the cover that is a good place to get the tip of the screwdriver under so as you dont sctatch the sealing edge or damage the gasket.

Once you have the cover off, pull off the old gasket and clean off any excess oil with a cloth, then give it a wipe with some white spirit for a final clean.

Fit the new gasket and wipe the sealing face with some white spirit.

Clean any oil off the top edge of the head where the new gasket will sit and then wipe it with white spirit.

Then refit everything you took off. Try to tighten the 5 capped nuts up the same ammount, torque setting is 9ft/lbs which is not much so dont swing on them either.

350ep70gr

Member +
Doesnt need to be done when changing the rocker cover gasket, those points are for sealing the cam caps that should not need to come off.

All you need to do is remove the top mount (if fitted) and take the 5 capped silver nuts off the top of the rocker cover. Use a large flat screwdriver to prise the rocker cover off. There is an overhang on the front right side of the cover that is a good place to get the tip of the screwdriver under so as you dont sctatch the sealing edge or damage the gasket.

Once you have the cover off, pull off the old gasket and clean off any excess oil with a cloth, then give it a wipe with some white spirit for a final clean.

Fit the new gasket and wipe the sealing face with some white spirit.

Clean any oil off the top edge of the head where the new gasket will sit and then wipe it with white spirit.

Then refit everything you took off. Try to tighten the 5 capped nuts up the same ammount, torque setting is 9ft/lbs which is not much so dont swing on them either.

I dont know if i get it right... but he does need some sealant at the points terry said mate. Also you dont use any sealant when you install the cam caps...so sealant is only at the outer of the cap at the edge so the rocker cover gasket can seal the corner.
Also the applied oil on the seal gasket will help to seal better than do any damage or anything.

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
I dont know if i get it right... but he does need some sealant at the points terry said mate. Also you dont use any sealant when you install the cam caps...so sealant is only at the outer of the cap at the edge so the rocker cover gasket can seal the corner.

I'll back Chris up with this. Liquid gasket should be applied between the rubber gasket and the corners of the cam caps. This is because there is less chance of sufficient clamping pressure in these areas to seal the gasket. This is not to say the gasket will definitely leak oil if a liquid gasket isn't used, but it avoids having to remove the cam cover and reseal if it does leak.

The same procedure is shown in every Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi workshop manual I've ever had the need to look at.

350ep70gr

Member +
I'll back Chris up with this. Liquid gasket should be applied between the rubber gasket and the corners of the cam caps. This is because there is less chance of sufficient clamping pressure in these areas to seal the gasket. This is not to say the gasket will definitely leak oil if a liquid gasket isn't used, but it avoids having to remove the cam cover and reseal if it does leak.

The same procedure is shown in every Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi workshop manual I've ever had the need to look at.

:kiss::beer:

Chris

durmz

Member +
dont get me wrong im no expert, and may not be the same for everyone, but i put a new gasket on, no sealent, and ive had no leaks whatsoever

but upon actually reading the above posts, sounds like i was just lucky

Texx

Super Moderator
dont get me wrong im no expert, and may not be the same for everyone, but i put a new gasket on, no sealent, and ive had no leaks whatsoever

but upon actually reading the above posts, sounds like i was just lucky

The gasket may not necessarily leak straight away, but as time goes on the gasket will harden and so will not seal as well as it did when it was new.

Applying liquid gasket is meant to act as more of a preventative measure than a necessity.

durmz

Member +
The gasket may not necessarily leak straight away, but as time goes on the gasket will harden and so will not seal as well as it did when it was new.

Applying liquid gasket is meant to act as more of a preventative measure than a necessity.

ok well in that case ile keep an eye on it, thanks

weeJohn

Lifer
All news to me lads, I have replaced and removed a few over the years, I have never seen sealant or used sealant on one of them, and I have never had any leaks.

I cant argue with a workshop preceedure but, so I will say to follow the way Tex and Chris say is correct, and will bear it in mind.

Thanks lads, you were very polite in telling me I was full of shit LOL.

shane01

Member +
hate to confuse things guys, but not sure if i should up gasket sealer around the rubber seal or oil like i would do with a new filter yeah? thanks :)

Texx

Super Moderator
It's best to make sure both surfaces are clean of any dirt or oil before applying the sealant and fitting the cover. Some sealants will not vulcanise properly if they come into contact with oil before they start to set.

Just clean both surfaces with some brake cleaner, fit the gasket into the cover, apply some sealant at the corners of the cam end caps and then install the cover and torque it down.

Follow the instructions for the sealant for how long you need to wait before you can run the engine.

shane01

Member +
It's best to make sure both surfaces are clean of any dirt or oil before applying the sealant and fitting the cover. Some sealants will not vulcanise properly if they come into contact with oil before they start to set.

Just clean both surfaces with some brake cleaner, fit the gasket into the cover, apply some sealant at the corners of the cam end caps and then install the cover and torque it down.

Follow the instructions for the sealant for how long you need to wait before you can run the engine.

thanks again mate

Last edited: