Grime in the engine

Foggy

Member +
How do i remove a build up on grime on the head? I removed the rocker cover to get it power coated and found a build up of grime and grease like s**t all over the cam and head. By the looks of things the oil filter hasnt been off in a while so the oil is fairly old. I started to remove some with i knif and it coming off in lumps. Where do i go from here to stop the engine been damaged? Im gonna take off the sump and turbo oil lines clean them what else to do? I dont wanna remove the head either. Anyone with good advised will be repped.

Shane.

scot-ish

Member +
if it wer me, i would use petrol, but alot of people probably wont like that idea.

i would say get as much of as you can, how your doing it, or try using and engine flush(again there are alot of people against these products) then i would get a filter, a load of cheap oil, and run the engine for a bit, get the oil circulating, to get most of the shitey deposits off, then again, another oil change, and see what condition the oil is that comes out, make sure if possible, do your oil change with the oil still warm, flows easier, gets more shite out.

Foggy

Member +
I was thinking of the petrol idea while the sump is off but would that not block the oil lines going down through the engine. Deffo doing the two oil changes. I think i got the problem in time because the engine sounds sweet with only 80km on it. Any other people have ideas just dont wanna do anymore damage?

Foggy

Member +
Great links dylan wanna advoid taking off the head. Have some engine flush here. Can use it till i get a rad lol

Texx

Super Moderator
If the build up of sludge is that bad, then IMO there is no other option than to strip the engine down and have it chemically cleaned.

You can use as much engine flush etc... as you like, but you'll never get all of the sludge out of the engine. Once the sludge has been disturbed and detached, it'll float around the lubrication system and have a high risk of blocking an oil gallery/feed or two. If opting for the engine flush method, I would also be budgeting for a new engine just in case.

Shorty

Member +
tbh im with Texx, if its bad then a strip down clean and rebuild is best, its not as big or bad a job as it sounds :) if you have a good mechanical ability you can do it all yourself if not then best to send it to a garage. post a pic up if pos so we gett a better idea of just how bad it is.

i often see land cruisers like this while doing the injector campeign in toyota and if we find this stuff in the head we take off sump and fit new sump strainer?????

if thats any help??