grinding manifolds/wastegates - what dremel bits

monka

Member +
what dremel grinding stones do people use when they port there wastegates and manifolds.

i know grinding stones, but which one, as there seem to be loads of different grade stones and stuff.

alan_d

Lifer
the burr is a weapon, the only thing I fear with it is going too far, if your in a hurry its awesome, but be careful!!!

I like spending a night honing a surface, so use the acorn shape 'orange' grind tool, it gives me a beaut mirror finish, just dont expect it in a hurry!!!

Its a matter of taste as ever, but the burr tool as above is deffo some tool for removing oodles of material fast!!!

BTW B&Q do the 100 piece dremel set for £9.99! I lifted two as the cut discs alone are worth it!

dac69er

Super Moderator
proper die grinder cutters chew through in no time. those grinding stones take an age and you seem to go through a few of them before its done.

i used a proper 110v die grinder at work and it took a little while grind it all out

ChrisW

Lifer
So would you use one of these burrs when porting the wastegate on the CT9? Im looking to do this but wasn't sure what dremmel bits to use?

dac69er

Super Moderator
So would you use one of these burrs when porting the wastegate on the CT9? Im looking to do this but wasn't sure what dremmel bits to use?

i ported my wastegate while the turbo was still on the car. i used an electric drill with a bendy attachment on the end. i used a burr tool i took from work and it seemed to do the trick

ChrisW

Lifer
i ported my wastegate while the turbo was still on the car. i used an electric drill with a bendy attachment on the end. i used a burr tool i took from work and it seemed to do the trick

So with a burr tool, it isnt the full diameter of the hole is it? Do you have to work the burr evenly around the hole to reach the desired diameter? Cheers

monka

Member +
apparently yes,

from what i have been told,

score a line around the wastegate flap and then work away until you are a few mm away from it