Gt2871rle

pamarakos

Member +
Hello!!
I'm from Greece and I'd like you give me some help here!!
I am currently running a Turbonetics T3 Super 60 (not ball bearing) with a .36 housing on the back!! Engine is a 4efte fully forged with speedvision cams and an adjustable cam pulley!! It is producing 267 hp and it is fully boosting at 1.6 bar on 4500 rpm!
The only thing is that I have two scales in my boost control with 1.2 low and 1.6 high and it is producing same power on both boost! Difference is on the torque of course!
So the issue is the size turbo! I'm after two solutions-ideas!
First a bigger hot side .48 at least, but I'm afraid it will be too laggy!!
Second is a GT 2871R with a .48 housing from PTE as someone from US proposed to me!! I saw that some of you are using GT28RS (disco potato) and you are making about same horsepower as me on the low scale but 325+ on 1.6 bar! I'm more interested in the lag and slow boost part! What can you tell me on this? At what rpm are going full boost? Have you used a non Ball bearing turbo before to give me the differnce between this and the ball bearing GT series?
Waiting for all your opinions, but please whoever has tested and really driven such a turbo, not just theories!!
Thanks a lot in advance!
Regards
pamarakos

midge

Fresh Recruit
I have GT28RS on my Clio, i know its not much help, but the one time i drove it, it spooled up very quickly and its making alot more power with this turbo than it was with the old T25 (no figures jsut from driving it)

ill be selling it soon as im going back to N/A.

GaryGT

Member +
the T3 super 60 .36 will suffer top end
if u go for the T3 Ballbearing Catridge .48 A/R and stage III turbine wheel u will see same response as ur current setup but @ 1.6 Bar u shud see well over 300bhp

the reason ur not seeeing more power @ higher boost is probably a combination of the intake manifold reaching is peak VE and the Turbo reaching its Choke line

regards

G

pamarakos

Member +
Thanks fro the response but I think completely different car:(

Anyways...

Just adding to the thread that I'm using my car as an everyday car and as a street-fun-killer at nights:drive::)
I want it to remain like this but with a little more horsepower and not out of the turbo efficiency...

Thanks!

pamarakos

Member +
the T3 super 60 .36 will suffer top end
if u go for the T3 Ballbearing Catridge .48 A/R and stage III turbine wheel u will see same response as ur current setup but @ 1.6 Bar u shud see well over 300bhp

the reason ur not seeeing more power @ higher boost is probably a combination of the intake manifold reaching is peak VE and the Turbo reaching its Choke line

regards

G

Cost for all these are a little bit over the Gt2871R cost...is it worth? Good thing is that if I use this 2871R it will suit my current application and no modification needed!!
So even for 325 hp I am going to need a custon intake manifold? I've already used a new throttle body, so I'm already pumping a little more air in the manifold!! Also I am using a stand-alone aftermarket LINK ECU!

dantheman

Member +
gt28rs (gt2860) on a 4efte stock head and cams hits full boost around 4.5k rpm. (ran one on my old starbo) i also ran a gt2871r and it was nowhere near as good as the 28rs. also had issues with surging (compressor not matched for this size engine) was making approx 340bhp @ fly on 1.8bar so not too shabby, but more important than power figures is i found the powerband very useable

pamarakos

Member +
gt28rs (gt2860) on a 4efte stock head and cams hits full boost around 4.5k rpm. (ran one on my old starbo) i also ran a gt2871r and it was nowhere near as good as the 28rs. also had issues with surging (compressor not matched for this size engine) was making approx 340bhp @ fly on 1.8bar so not too shabby, but more important than power figures is i found the powerband very useable

With what a/r hot side was the 2871? If it was with the 0.80 that they give, for sure it is huge for the 4efte....but if combined with the .48 from Precision?
Also your 2871 was with a T25 flange or a T3?

Stock head is mine too, but with cams and cam pulley adjustable!!
4500 rpm is not a huge number, my rev limiter is at 8500...I'm almost there now with my Turbonetics T3!! If with the 2871 I can achieve 4500 rpm full boost, it will be miracle!!
I don't much of turbo maps, but I feel that I'm more into the peak of the "power band" with the 2871 than with the 2860 for the goal of 300-320hp...again talking about an everyday car!!

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +

X2 what he said ^^^

P.s. From wich place you are mate?

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
Thessaloniki....Have you tried 2871 my friend? Or just the 2860? With what a/r hot side?

I have drive a forge one with 2871..not mine tho..based on a corolla.
I used to run Gt28rs on mine with t25 flange .64 a/r . With cams and extent headwork
and the feeling was a lot faster spoolup compared to the 2871. Dont know a/r on the 2871 tho.

Chris

pamarakos

Member +
I have drive a forge one with 2871..not mine tho..based on a corolla.
I used to run Gt28rs on mine with t25 flange .64 a/r . With cams and extent headwork
and the feeling was a lot faster spoolup compared to the 2871. Dont know a/r on the 2871 tho.

Chris
Spool up of yours at what rpm for full boost?
It's just that if used the original 2871 from Garrett then it would have either the .64 or the .80 a/r which is incompatible for sure with our engines!!
Also did he use bigger cams and pulley?

Now pte gives a good choice of the same turbo with T3 flange and .48 a/r!!
I almost bet that it will have the same spool up with the t25 and .64 a/r that you've used!

Am I losing something? Please correct me 'cause I'm thinking only in theory:)

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
Spool up of yours at what rpm for full boost?
It's just that if used the original 2871 from Garrett then it would have either the .64 or the .80 a/r which is incompatible for sure with our engines!!
Also did he use bigger cams and pulley?

Now pte gives a good choice of the same turbo with T3 flange and .48 a/r!!
I almost bet that it will have the same spool up with the t25 and .64 a/r that you've used!

Am I losing something? Please correct me 'cause I'm thinking only in theory:)

I used to run the all set up with emb wich was never tuned professionaly.:p
Full boost at about 4,5k but i belive with a leaner map you could drop that figure by 200-300rpm. I used big cams without adjustable pulley and a lot of head work different valves etc.
Maybe T3 users can have a better opinion of what you ask.

Chris

pamarakos

Member +
I used to run the all set up with emb wich was never tuned professionaly.:p
Full boost at about 4,5k but i belive with a leaner map you could drop that figure by 200-300rpm. I used big cams without adjustable pulley and a lot of head work different valves etc.
Maybe T3 users can have a better opinion of what you ask.

Chris

It sounds great to have same spool up rpm with bigger powerband and hp results:)

Think that I'm running stand-alone ecu with plenty of time for tuning:)
Also adjustable pulley is a must for bigger cams....drops the spool up at least 500 rpm, not to say 1000!!At least with my setup!!
Waiting for other opinions too:)

Thanks all of you!