gt28r big problem :(((((((((((((

glanza2281

Member +
hello,

i`ve just installed a gt28r on a 4e, was working fine for lets say 5hours!!!

now i can hear a stange noise coming from it as if the bearing is all f!!!!ckd.

the vacumm line of my BOV was not connected and also the turbo had no air filter on it (i know that was stupid!!!!). However I dnt think that something got into it.

The car was making a rather cool but strange noise (as if when i let go the accelerator the turbo was forced to spin backwards to let the excess air go out....i assumed it was due to the fact that the BOV might not be working properly.)

Now what i am thinking is that turbo might be faulty cause it could not take so much abuse from the boost going back to the compressor housing.
Is that possible?

Any solutions guys?? spent lot on that turbo :((( any1 knows about a repair kit for ball bearing turbos?

thanks

terccraz05

Member +
hello,

i`ve just installed a gt28r on a 4e, was working fine for lets say 5hours!!!

now i can hear a stange noise coming from it as if the bearing is all f!!!!ckd.

the vacumm line of my BOV was not connected and also the turbo had no air filter on it (i know that was stupid!!!!). However I dnt think that something got into it.

The car was making a rather cool but strange noise (as if when i let go the accelerator the turbo was forced to spin backwards to let the excess air go out....i assumed it was due to the fact that the BOV might not be working properly.)

Now what i am thinking is that turbo might be faulty cause it could not take so much abuse from the boost going back to the compressor housing.
Is that possible?

Any solutions guys?? spent lot on that turbo :((( any1 knows about a repair kit for ball bearing turbos?

thanks

How much boost were you doing? Why didn't you have the BOV vaccum connected? All that excess air spining the turbo backwards could have caused the problem. Also you have plenty of oil and coolant running to the turbo? Did you crank the car without starting it first when you installed the turbo to build up oil pressure?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
maybe you didnt fit a restrictor? and have loads of oil pressure on the turbo.. ?

was it new??

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Aue some turbos require a wee restrictor just to control the pressure, think its mainly the garret ball bearing series turbos.

glanza2281

Member +
I have installed the restrictor. will check in a few moment if oil coming from it.

I did not crank(not sure how to do that) the turbo before using it. just installed and turned engine on.

I am completely lost now. dont know where to start troubleshooting as the setup i`ve done is quite a pain in the ass to dismantle. i`ve checked the fins using a mirror and all seem ok. its definitely something to do with the bearing and not sure if there are replacement kits for that.

glanza2281

Member +
How much boost were you doing? Why didn't you have the BOV vaccum connected? All that excess air spining the turbo backwards could have caused the problem. Also you have plenty of oil and coolant running to the turbo? Did you crank the car without starting it first when you installed the turbo to build up oil pressure?

the vacuum line was a bit short so had to get a longer one. this happened to me on my way back home from the garage :(

wastegate was set up to max 1.1 bar and was running around 1 bar on 4th gear and when shifted to 5th.....that was it...no boost at all..

how do i check if there is plenty of oil and coolant coming to the turbo mate ?

glanza2281

Member +
maybe you didnt fit a restrictor? and have loads of oil pressure on the turbo.. ?

was it new??

yes turbo is a brand new one. i rotated it for it to fit in there and i also had to inverse the turbo...i.e comp to the right and turbine to the left else it would not have gone onto the mani i used.

Llawgoch

Member +
the dump valve will have been leaking boost away if the vacum pipe was not conected, therefore, u have been overspeeding the turbo like hell to get it to boost 1bar. the dump valve uses the boost pressure on the vacuum pipe to help keep it shut.so the max boost u will get will depend on how strong th spring in the dump valve is. so i reckon uve ruind the bearings by overspeeding it.

MeisterR

Lifer
Did you connect a WATER line to the turbo?

The garrett dual ball bearing turbo are water cool, and without hooking it up can cause the bearing to fail.

steveatyork

Member +
the dump valve will have been leaking boost away if the vacum pipe was not conected, therefore, u have been overspeeding the turbo like hell to get it to boost 1bar. the dump valve uses the boost pressure on the vacuum pipe to help keep it shut.so the max boost u will get will depend on how strong th spring in the dump valve is. so i reckon uve ruind the bearings by overspeeding it.

totally agree,also a little play in the shaft is normal but in and out movement is a very worn turbo:(

glanza2281

Member +
i ve just checked the following:

oil and water flowing through the turbo. checked piping for leakage and no problem.

only thing i notice is that when idling no strange sound from the turbo....but when accelerating then u hear that noise...as if metal friction or sonthing loose inside the turbo...think best way will be to dismantle the turbo...my worse fear is if i`ve fucked the bearing... i spent a fortune on that and didnt even use is for 1 day :((((

can we still repair a turbo if something has got into it?

glanza2281

Member +
totally agree,also a little play in the shaft is normal but in and out movement is a very worn turbo:(

i believe the shaft play is still negligible though...there is no in and out movement. what is strange for me is why is there no boost at all....the compressor is turning so at least it should make some boost...say 0.1 psi...but even this am not getting

azerty

Supermoderator
your compressor might have swallow something. this happen so easily if no airfilter is fitted. have you checked inducer blades ?

glanza2281

Member +
your compressor might have swallow something. this happen so easily if no airfilter is fitted. have you checked inducer blades ?

hey buddy,

it can be. can this be repaired in mauritius? i talked to christian (palma) today he says turbo is not fucked up completely...so will take it out tomorow and see whats the prob...he told me he can repair it and put journal bearing in it...but i dnt wanna do that coz of spool up time...the ball bearing one is a nice setup for our cars... stupid me i fucked everything up :(