guys advice please.

Starletfreak

Member +
Just did a complete engine rebuild,with new piston rings new seals. In fact everything changed in engine.

My Question is my car when on idle it smokes a bit but when cruising it doesnt smoke. What can be the problem? My mechanic says it can be the turbo, just upgraded turbo with a recon unit ? td04..

Starletfreak

Member +
Puffing out white smoke,note that head was rebuild with new valve stem seals. The turbo is a recon unit bought from a trader. Piston ring changed,new bearings,new water pump. It smokes only on idle.

Dave.

Member +
I'll give that a check,How do you know if the pcv valve is working fine??

It *should* be a one way valve - check and see if it only allows air one way, here is a fairly useful test:

To test the PCV valve disconnect the PCV hose from the rocker arm cover on. Now start the engine and let it idle. Place your thumb or finger over the open end of the PCV hose to feel for a vacuum(suction). IF you don't feel a vacuum you need to check the hose for clogs or other blockages for example a sharp kink in the hose. If need be just replace the hose with a new one. Once you have established that there are no blockages in the hose turn off your engine. Now you need to find out if the valve it's self is operating properly. What you need to do now is blow air through the PCV hose. Note*Use extreme caution , make sure you do not suck any air through the hose as it contains very toxic gases that can poison you and cause you serious physical injury.When you blow air through the hose you should feel resistance if there is no resistance the PCV valve is stuck open and you need to replace it.

You can do the second part of the test with the valve off the car to make it easier all round, in my opinion.

Dave

Starletfreak

Member +
Guys i found the problem,and it is the turbo, my car was started without the turbo and no smoke at all. Turbo was bought from speedvision and it is a recon unit. Emaild them now and will wait and see what he has to say. Thanks everyone for the help