Gym Workout Plans - Any Tips?

Sharkman645

Member +
Bit the bullet and joined a gym looking to shed a few pounds for a longer life span lol if any one has any tips for a good work out let me know as i dont really know what to do.

thanks in advance

pig666eon

Member +
you need to eat right as well as go to the gym to feel the benifits man

i would recomend just taking it handy the first 2 weeks before you do any major lifting, have friend who came with me to the gym and went home crying cause they taught they were he-man and ended up straining muscles its very soar

if your just there to run or whatever also recomend to work your way up increasing time as you get fitter as over strain can do damage aswell ie hart ect if your unfit

Sharkman645

Member +
you need to eat right as well as go to the gym to feel the benifits man

i would recomend just taking it handy the first 2 weeks before you do any major lifting, have friend who came with me to the gym and went home crying cause they taught they were he-man and ended up straining muscles its very soar

if your just there to run or whatever also recomend to work your way up increasing time as you get fitter as over strain can do damage aswell ie hart ect if your unfit

dont really want to lift weights as yet would rather drop a few stone first. what would give better work out between cross trainer, rowing machine etc

Member +
you prob wanna gork on getting fit first? yea?
so i would have said cardio.

start with a jog on the treadmill - say 5min at a comfortale pace, then 2 min reak then another 5 min. ideally you should be starting to strugle near the end of the first 5 min before your break. after a while you can work this time up.

then go on the bike for twice as long as yo spent on the tread, keep your heart between 150 and 170.

the weight will be flyn off ya!lol, remember, no pain no gain, if it seems easy, crank it up!

pig666eon

Member +
best way to loose weight is to use your big muscle groups running/rowing is good, get doing leg curls hi rep medium weight, back exercises works well, arms and chest is another big one

if you want to burn fat you need to use energy and the best way is to get moving the biggest parts of the body

also never do the same routine every day always mix it up maybe do legs and back one day, do chest and arms another, do back and arms another ect you dont have to lift heavy weight but you do need to get them moving

do at leat a half hour of cardio every session and leave it until the end as you will use more energy this way

Derek

Lifer
Considering joining the gym myself, ive let my fitness go to the dogs need to shape up, how many times would people recommend going the gym a week? ill start of slow and work my way back into it. sorry for the hi-jack.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
as well as the advice above, use interval training too. i have a quick workout i do when i'm pushed for time that i find effective

use a piece of cardio equipment that doesn't need button bashing to adjust speed/intensity, ie rower or bike.

warm up for 5 mins, then start the course

go balls to the wall for 20 seconds, reset for 40, repeat for 10 mins, cruise for 5 mins then repeat the interval training for a further 5 mins then cool down.

it's important you give everything you've got in those 20 seconds. ;)

you can extend or shorten the course to suit your fitness level, or adjust the time you're at full throttle, another is 30 seconds hard work, 90 seconds reset over a longer course of say half hour with 5 min warmup/cooldown either side.

weights are important too as part of any fitness regime imo, i tend to do a session everytime i go,

nothing heavy, say to start 25 kg on each machine, work all your muscle groups, 3 x 20 reps, 30 seconds rest between each set.

build the weight up. i don't go above 40kg on these workouts, i save the heavy weights and have a session where i push as heavy as i can :)

Last edited:

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
Considering joining the gym myself, ive let my fitness go to the dogs need to shape up, how many times would people recommend going the gym a week? ill start of slow and work my way back into it. sorry for the hi-jack.

3 times a week should be enough, at least 45 mins.

davehart

Member +
If your looking to get fit, gym is not really needed. Eat healthy and go jogging with some basic workout, sit ups, press ups, thrusts and the like.

Unless you want to get 'ripped' and spend all your life in the gym building up muscles you will never use. I try to avoid the gym and do things more interesting like sports and outdoor pursuits.

Unless there are decent pieces of totti, I'll be on the bike for hours with the ipod on having a good perv!

starletsam

Member +
I've just started myself as I'm actually trying to put on weight lol.don't work out for longer than an hour as after that the testosterone/adrenalin levels drop and your not really doing youself any good.try go 3 times a week and push youself a step at a time.suprise your body

Tanz

Lifer
All the lads info is great and definitely works but as for me i would highly recommend having a consultation with an in house trainer they can devise a personal plan for you and help you with a supporting diet also,,its safe and if you arent accustom to the gym then is vital for safely meeting your needs imo....

Ive been regularly going to the gym for years now and still seek advice from my trainer whenever i wanna turn it up a notch or tone it down....

Matchew

Member +
Many moons ago when i was really fat i went on a low carb diet and did cardio that shed the weight off now all i do is free weights and to get cut im taking Diamond Labs ECA 30+ Fat Stippers plus at the minute i only have carbs on training days its all in your diet aswell there mental ive never trained so hard in my life i make Sonic look slow lol

These bad boys
http://www.cardiffsportsnutrition.co.uk/p/1044826/diamond-labs-eca-30-60-caps-1995.html

Never heard a bad review about them meant to be the best on the market by far

Last edited:

stavros

Member +
Most things have been covered in a round about kinda way above.

Diet:
Get your diet right and the rest is easy.

General rule for someone just starting out is lower your complex/starchy carbs such as pasta, bread, potatoes, rice etc and replace them with fibreous carbs such as lettuce, brocolli, cauliflower etc. Just doing this alone will help you drop weight; complex carbs can hold up to 3g of water for every 1g you eat, water retention usually drops quite quickly once these are removed from the diet.

You need to keep your protein levels relatively high, i.e. meat, fish etc. Your body finds it difficult to digest protein, therefore all the time it is digesting it, its burning calories. Ideally, it would be worth getting a caesin (not whey) protein powder and have a shake before bed, alternatively a tub of cottage cheese before bed, just helps with keeping your body anabolic through the night. i.e. burning calories whilst you're asleep :)

Exercise:
Cardio is definately beneficial, however, it has to be done in moderation. Theres many ways to do cardio, as someone mentioned above, theres the frequency training i.e. short bursts at high frequency followed by a longer period of rest. I personally prefer consistant cardio, maintaining a heart rate between 120 and 130 on the cross trainer. 30minutes to start with, working up to 45minutes a day is more than enough. Any longer than 45minutes/1hour and cardio can become catabolic, where it begins to use muscle stores as energy as oppose to fat stores. Same applies to the heart rate being above 140bpm.

Weight lifting:
Do it. Weight lifting is just as beneficial, if not argueably more. When you lift weights you tear muscle fibres; these muscle fibres take upto 3/4 days to heal and repair. All the time these fibres are healing, you body is using energy. Someone above mentioned 5x5 training, personally I wouldnt reconmend it. Its a great system, but more so for strength and mass as opposed to cutting, I use this whilst im bulking, however if you wish to lose weight, maintain high frequency training i.e. 3sets x 10reps.

Hope this is of some help? lol

Last edited: