had a crash, check your engine mounts

turboflow

Member +
ok about a year ago i had an accident in my gt and it mauled the front end of mine. had it all repaired (most of the front end lol) and the chassis straightened. once driving it again i thought everything was ok until last week the dip stick tube some how pulled out of the block (yeah i know) the top bolt was a little loose and put it down to this, put it all back together and then on monday evening after work i pull into a petrol station and hear a ping. thought i had flicked a stone on the tyre. pulling out of the petrol station i hear another. hmmmmmmmmmm. anyway boost the little bitch out the garage and as i do the battery and exhaust temp lights pop up, balls... i have just joined the motorway so wing it over before it overheats have a cheaky look under the bonnet and i see no belts remaining and oil all over the fucking place and the dip stick tube has pulled out again. i get myself rescued(shaks gt towed me home on a fixed bar with ease, was well shocked)get home and unbolt the top bolt for the alternator tension bracket and dip stick guide tube and as i do so i could have swarn i saw the engine rock as tension was released. give it a wiggle and the block. engine is rocking on the engine mount. removed the cover to find one bolt missing the other trapped in the cam cover not threaded and the other is finger tight. i shat my pants at this point. got the mount off to find the top bolt had sheared i can only assume in the accident when my rad got slammed into my engine and the other vibrated loose. engine is out now and bolt extracted ready for new one and about to be put back in, will get some pics up this afternoon.

i was 3 full turns away from the engine mount falling off completely :homer:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
i was 3 full turns away from the engine mount falling off completely :homer:

now that would have been a propper disaster..

good advice mate, it makes for a good comical read :haha:

kon

turboflow

Member +
whole thing is proper funny but had i not noticed it i am going to lemans in a couple weeks and if this had all happened then i would not have found it quite so funny. i have fixed it and the cost of £7 for the easy out sheared bolt extractors (handy arse tools)