handbrake stuck on slightly??

richglanza

Member +
just recently iv notice the car feels like the handbrake is constantly on. not fully just slightly. say im on a bit of a hill setting off the car dont roll back even though it should. i have heard a noise coming from the back when im goin slow also which im 99% sure is related . any ideas?

the pads have a decent amount of meat left on them from what i can tell

dac69er

Super Moderator
probably slightly siezed. strip them down, clean and regrease where necassary and that should cure it. does one disc get any hotter than the other?

starbogt

Member +
A common fault I found that it was the handbrake lever on the caliper I cleaned and lubed the cable near the caliper and the lever worked it lots with wd40 1st and it saved striping the lot down also. Shame it needs doing loads though!

richglanza

Member +
cheers for quick replies lads will strip em down n see

what if one disk is hotter than the other?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
then its just one side and its caliper related and nothing else. mine got so bad that one side was actually smoking when i came to a stop

gmcm

Member +
get someone to sit in the car and work the handbrake on and off while u look at the levers at the rear calipers, if the cable ain't bulging out it'll be the cables if not the calipers

richglanza

Member +
get someone to sit in the car and work the handbrake on and off while u look at the levers at the rear calipers, if the cable ain't bulging out it'll be the cables if not the calipers

will it need new cable cos its stretched or just lubing up

hga05

Member +
how do you strip the caliper as mine is slightly seized and ive started taking it apart but dont know what to do. Also think the return spring on the other side has lost its tension as it doesnt always return easily. Can these be bought separately. Any help would be great. thanks