hard drive question anyone?

danb87

South East England Area Rep
found my old computer anymore, removed the hard drive from it an i want too get it up on my current computer, is that possible without taking everything apart?

is there like a wire too plug in too hard drive an computer?

any help will be repped

thanks

danb87

this is the hard drive im trying too hook up --
28052010094-1.jpg
[/IMG]

28052010093.jpg
[/IMG]

is what you gave a link too suitable for this?

dac69er

Super Moderator
pretty much. you plug the hard drive into the caddy then just connect the usb up. then it just works like a memory stick pretty much. i have a similar type one and its simple enough to use

danb87

pretty much. you plug the hard drive into the caddy then just connect the usb up. then it just works like a memory stick pretty much. i have a similar type one and its simple enough to use

nice one mate, just ordered one.

thanks for your help

repped mate asswell

dac69er

Super Moderator
no worries mate. its so cheap that even if it didnt work it wouldnt be the end of the world.

Paul_JJ

Member +
You don't need to buy anything to plug it in! Every desktop have a PATA (IDE) support - the HDD you've got on the PICS is PATA, all you need to do is open the case, find the PATA cable (the one which would fit your HDD) plug it in (look for the red label it should be on the power cable side - so 2 red labels next to each other). Find the power cable (any will do) and plug in in - the red cable will be next to the data cable - 2 red cables will be next to each other - this is important as you can plug it in the wrong way and this will burn the HDD. If you can't find the data cable then it was not plugged in (shop, factory, etc...) Then you would have to buy the cable! it's called IDE PATA 80 pin cable!

If you in doubt - open the case - take pictures of what you've got in there - I will be able to help.

If you ordered an external enclosure - than your HDD speed will be limited to the USB2 which is 480 mpbs, another words no faster than 30 mbytes/s and you will need another power socket for it, and it will take some room from your desk and it will be noisy to have it next to you rather than in the case! The only good thing about it - is if you plug/unplug you hdd very often in order to transfer some data from one computer to another! But it's pretty much obsolete now as we have memory sticks and the HDD is fragile! + modern computers have eSata which is a lot faster!

You are plugging in 40 gb HDD, when you can get a brand new 1 TB for J50 (4 times faster than your old one), don't you think that you're wasting your time???

P.S. 16 years of experience in IT.

danb87

You don't need to buy anything to plug it in! Every desktop have a PATA (IDE) support - the HDD you've got on the PICS is PATA, all you need to do is open the case, find the PATA cable (the one which would fit your HDD) plug it in (look for the red label it should be on the power cable side - so 2 red labels next to each other). Find the power cable (any will do) and plug in in - the red cable will be next to the data cable - 2 red cables will be next to each other - this is important as you can plug it in the wrong way and this will burn the HDD. If you can't find the data cable then it was not plugged in (shop, factory, etc...) Then you would have to buy the cable! it's called IDE PATA 80 pin cable!

If you in doubt - open the case - take pictures of what you've got in there - I will be able to help.

If you ordered an external enclosure - than your HDD speed will be limited to the USB2 which is 480 mpbs, another words no faster than 30 mbytes/s and you will need another power socket for it, and it will take some room from your desk and it will be noisy to have it next to you rather than in the case! The only good thing about it - is if you plug/unplug you hdd very often in order to transfer some data from one computer to another! But it's pretty much obsolete now as we have memory sticks and the HDD is fragile! + modern computers have eSata which is a lot faster!

You are plugging in 40 gb HDD, when you can get a brand new 1 TB for J50 (4 times faster than your old one), don't you think that you're wasting your time???

P.S. 16 years of experience in IT.

very helpful mate, literally what i wanna doing is plug in the hdd that come out of my compuer from about 8 years ago an see what shits on it if you know what i mean. just a curiosity thing rather than going too be using it.

dan

an my current hp desktop as 1tb

dac69er

Super Moderator
very helpful mate, literally what i wanna doing is plug in the hdd that come out of my compuer from about 8 years ago an see what shits on it if you know what i mean. just a curiosity thing rather than going too be using it.

dan

an my current hp desktop as 1tb

i have a year old pc and it has a sata hard drive. there is an older style connection on the motherboard but no cable inside.
for ease of use the caddy will do fine. will allow you to get the info off it you want and then it was so cheap you could just check it away. saves pulling the pc apart, especially if its under warranty as it will be void once the seal is broken on the case.

danb87

i have a year old pc and it has a sata hard drive. there is an older style connection on the motherboard but no cable inside.
for ease of use the caddy will do fine. will allow you to get the info off it you want and then it was so cheap you could just check it away. saves pulling the pc apart, especially if its under warranty as it will be void once the seal is broken on the case.

thats what i was thinking mate

Paul_JJ

Member +

If you have Sata hdd the best solution would be to use eSata as it is a lot faster then the USB2. I was using it once for my laptop as it's impossible to plug in a Desktop HDD directly in to a laptop (without compromising the mobility), so I had a HDD enclosure, but instead of USB2 I ran in to FireWire which was support by the laptop and the Enclouse - the USB2 is really bad for transferring a large amount of data, it was not designed for it. Even the old Firewire 400 mbps would be faster than USB2 which is 480 mbps!

Regarding the warranty - yes, some companies do that. But you can also bring your case and your hdd to them and ask to plug it in, as you can't open the case! That would do it for free.

I totally forgot about it as I've assembled mine from the scratch and the case is open all the time (for better cooling). It's sort of like have no bonnet on your car in order to cool the engine!

I can sell you the cable for j1 + postage -)))))

Last edited: