has any ever ran or tried to run this setup?

Phil

Super Moderator
standard internals,
standard radiator (would it need brought forward? dont like the idea of running a smaller one)
td04 WEPR SS mani downpipe exhaust etc,
but not a front mount a......Rx7 topmount

any big major problems with this? or any reasons that it def cant work?

Monkfish

Member +
Heat soak is always an issue with TMIC's. They only beat FMIC's in that they reduce lag. Great, but it won't go far when the cars detting it's tits off and shits out a piston in component form :homer:

ian

Member +
The radiator will need moving forward, if its possible and Most of the smaller radiators people use are thicker than the standard one and therefore will have the same/better effciency.

Phil

Super Moderator
has anyone ever experimented conclusively with a rx7 topmount? surely if its well fitted with a heat shield below etc then once ur moving with a tmic heat soak will be next to none?

Phil

Super Moderator
aaaaahhhhhhhh or not? has no1 ever tried this? i suppose the heat soak must be bad then. cheers anyway

yo phil......i'm basing this on memory.....so dont kill me for it

but i recall some guy on one of the older sites (a gtturbo yahoo site i think---i know i have the info somewhere,,,,,,but to find that would take a LOT of time).....who was running a rx7 tmic with larger ball bearing turbo ----either from a skyline or subaru........for some strange reason 156kw comes to mind

but it can be done with a good tmic and proper tuning once its not strictly a "drag" oriented car......just most people will say go the fmic way

Dan3SGTE

Member +
why are you hovering around the idea of using a TMIC? why not just use a FMIC?

any particular reason?

Phil

Super Moderator
well firstly i have a rx7 topmount, and since i plan to run standard internals with a td04 i very much doubt that id be running excessive boost levels anyway.

but best of all in my opinion is that it looks standard from the exterior of the car. enough cooling to run that bit more boost with a reasonable spool up time.

Phil

Super Moderator
yo phil......i'm basing this on memory.....so dont kill me for it

but i recall some guy on one of the older sites (a gtturbo yahoo site i think---i know i have the info somewhere,,,,,,but to find that would take a LOT of time).....who was running a rx7 tmic with larger ball bearing turbo ----either from a skyline or subaru........for some strange reason 156kw comes to mind

but it can be done with a good tmic and proper tuning once its not strictly a "drag" oriented car......just most people will say go the fmic way

well if u can get any info mail me but only if it turns up lol well this wouldnt be a drag car really at all just trying to build my ultimate daily drivering starbo.

mate i you not going to be running high boost on a TD04l its maybe not really worth it as it does not start to get fun until after 12psi. so you would be best running 1bar on it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
a few of the cars in the hyper rev magazine are running k24 turbos on stock and arc tmics.

tbh its not going to be any less efficient on a different turbo than on a ct9. in theory a larger turbo like the td04 shouldnt produce as much heat anyway so it would probably be as efficient if not more than on a stock ct9 if both running 1 bar.

this only works when heat soak is not an issue though unfortunately. due to the higher power produced and the larger volume of air being pumped though standard internals will be alot more prone to meltdown if heatsoak comes into play.
at 1-1.2 bar on a TD04 you are nearly maxing out the standard internals capability.

its ok in theory but for that setup forgies would be the safest bet, but also a very safe tune may be possible with a td04 at 1 bar with no det even with some heatsoak. without testing it and seeing what results are achieved its hard to say.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
waaaayy cheaper and less work.

and it keeps lag to a minimum.

I said any "particular" reason.... i understand the most obvious reasons.....

i cant see an intercooler on top of the engine being all that great for keeping intake temps down on a starlet running 200HP+... if it was positioned like the STI's were they arent directlly above the block or a chargecooler then fair enough, i could see sense.... an intercooler is just going to let hot air from the engine......

im not a fact in this, just my opion, prove me wrong.... :)

ChrisGT

Member +
Theres not enough room in a starbos bay for a v mount so its kinda has to be either tmic or fmic. if you could somehow heatshield the rx7 tmic it should run cooler.

what would be cool was if you postioned the cooler slightly more forward and had a bespoke bonnet made with a bigger scoop or something, or put a fan on the cooler like some rally cars (or water sprayers) .. yeah do that, an rx7 cooler thats heatshielded and has water sprayers! would be pimp! :D

dac69er

Super Moderator
waterspray does help quite a bit. even when you have a squirty bottle and have to spray it before you move the car ;)

Dan3SGTE

Member +
that would work i suppose with water injection too....

alot of hassle... just put an FMIC, you know that works well... look much better in my opinion too anyway..... each to their own i suppose though aie....

Phil

Super Moderator
that would work i suppose with water injection too....

alot of hassle... just put an FMIC, you know that works well... look much better in my opinion too anyway..... each to their own i suppose though aie....

true true, everyones has their own idea of whats nice or worth while! look at the people who spend thousands on sound systems and bodykits?! eh?

but i just had a interest in whether i could run a td04 with a secondhand rx7 cooler that cost me 50quid!

Monkfish

Member +
You can run a TD04 on a TMIC, but the problem is that it won't cool as well as an FMIC, so you'd have to run lower boost, which kind of negates the reason for upgrading from the CT9. People upgrade from the CT9 for one reason and one reason only. Power. Granted, there is more lag and it costs more money to build, but if you're chasing 230bhp+ then a TD04 (Or similar) + FMIC is the way forward.

Don't get me wrong, TMIC's are better over FMIC's, to a point. That point is usually where boost levels are increased and intake temps take a dangerous hike too.

/2 pence