Head bolts 4E-FTE

glanzakipper

Fresh Recruit
Hi everyone
Started stripping my engine there today and got as far as the head bolts. Needs a head gasket!
I tried various torx and splines
Does anyone know from experience, is there a special tool from toyota that must be used or is it just a regular torx, didnt want to ring anything today. Came onto this just to be sure and check it out.
Can anyone help me out, much appreciated
Cheers

mork

Member +
It's a 12 point bolt I believe, obviously toyota can supply the tool, but so can any motorfactors.

AdamB

Member +
Its an m9 spline tool, but if you have already tried torx and hex keys you have most likely rounded them off. You will be better of getting an m10 spline and knocking that into the head of the bolt ;)

glanzakipper

Fresh Recruit
I had a feeling it was M9
i tried M8 and M10 just for size but i didnt have an M9 in my kit
just wanted to be 100% before i went and rang any of the bolts!
Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys i really appreciate it!!

Texx

Super Moderator
If you can't get hold of an M9 spline (they can sometimes be difficult to source), you can use an 8mm Allen key. However there is a good chance some of the bolts will round off, but you can then tap a M10 spline (very much easier to source) into the top of the rounded off bolt and then undo them.

If the new bolts have an M9 spline drive in them, do not use anything else other than an M9 spline to torque them up.