Head Bolts Question

omcr

Member +
When removing the engine head/cylinder head the intake bolts are shorter than the exhaust side bolts
what would happen if you mix up these bolts like...
you put in ten of the long exhaust bolts...5 intake side 5 exhaust side
or you put in 10 short intake bolts 5 intake side 5 exhaust side
what effect would this have on the car

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Pretty sure it wouldn't seal the head,although im open to correction as iv'e never come across it.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
they wount thread in all the way if useing the long bolts in the shorter side ?never try it

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well its very unlikly to happen as the short ones wont reach and the longer will stay out... besdes you probably wont have any useable comrpession what so ever as id imagine the head would lift very easily..

never been asked this one before... :confused: lol..

are you worrying this has happened to you mate?

kon

omcr

Member +
well its very unlikly to happen as the short ones wont reach and the longer will stay out... besdes you probably wont have any useable comrpession what so ever as id imagine the head would lift very easily..

never been asked this one before... :confused: lol..

are you worrying this has happened to you mate?

kon

well it kinda happened to me the first time i changed my gasket i didnt know the kind of bolts the mechanic used he said he got them off a corolla and they were the same length but the head was differet it wasnt the multispline.
i was there when he was puttin the engine back together when he started it with radiator fluid in it kept suckin up the fluid then is wen he told me to shave the head anyway i decided to do part myself after readin on here
when i removed the bolts all of them were long bolts the corolla bolts were just a bit longer than the original bolts not very noticeable tho so i wanted to find out if that contributed to the problem i had

omcr

Member +
and by the way all of them seem to go all the way down i would double check tomorrow as i am puttin the engine back together

omcr

Member +
ok i double checked nd i noticed where the exhaust bolts were in the intake side of the head he used two metal washers.
So i guess that explains how he got the bolts to fit in