Head differences ??

ian

Member +
They may be a stupid question so please bare with me :

Is there much difference between the 4efte head and the 5efhe head when both fully stripped down ??

durmz

Member +
while on the subject, is there a gain using the 5efhe head over the 4efte? i mean with cams an everything

J25GTi

Lifer
while on the subject, is there a gain using the 5efhe head over the 4efte? i mean with cams an everything

Yeah, efhe cams are a nice upgrade of efte ones.

Have 5 efhe head complete with cams in the machine shop now been ported and polished etc :)

ian

Member +
Cheers for the link.

Main reason for asking is that I am looking at having some head work done and the person who will be doing it asked if i had a spare head that he could cut in half to see how much he could remove safely and i have a 5e head on my garage floor gathering dust.

Would this be ok in your opinion ??

durmz

Member +
Yeah, efhe cams are a nice upgrade of efte ones.

Have 5 efhe head complete with cams in the machine shop now been ported and polished etc :)

intawesting, my head needs to come off soon so may look at getting a 5e head, cheers mate

well i'd be honest...i would not have the heart ot cut up a perfectly good 5efhe/4efte head
might be best to get a warped/busted 4efte/5efhe one for very cheap...then u still have your good head as a spare if needed

Fatman

Member +
The cam upgrade is helpful, but it's not going to do anything much for the important part on a larger turbo setup, moving the torque band higher. If your turbo spools at 5k and your cams run out at 6k with a long taper off till redline, you really aren't going to be going very quickly.

Make no mistake, a mild duration increase and much larger lift gains (e.g speedvision cams) will be infinitely more noticable than the incremental gains of 5e-fhe cams. The lift variation is very minimal.

Other than the cams, there are no functional differences. Some of the american stuff is odd, but nothing japanese minds which head you use.

durmz

Member +
well i'd be honest...i would not have the heart ot cut up a perfectly good 5efhe/4efte head
might be best to get a warped/busted 4efte/5efhe one for very cheap...then u still have your good head as a spare if needed

yeah i was gonna say, i havent got that sort of willingness spare lol but depends on ure mission/budget

ian

Member +
Well if it means i'll get a good job on my head i'm not too fussed, i'll have another spare head when i remove the one on my engine i have in now.