Head Gasket Gone?

aar-on06

Fresh Recruit
I was coming home for a car cruise last nite and i was flat out the hole way home. When i looked under the bonnet the coolant overflow bottle was filled to the very top past the full mark. Then i looked 2day and its at the full mark and the radiator coolant is about and inch from where it usually sit. Is it the headset thats gone?

weeJohn

Lifer
Not necessarily, it could just have pushed water out on the run. It should get sucked back in when the engine cools but, a faulty rad cap can cause it not to. Try topping up the rad and replace the cap, then keep an eye on it for a week.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Not necessarily, it could just have pushed water out on the run. It should get sucked back in when the engine cools but, a faulty rad cap can cause it not to. Try topping up the rad and replace the cap, then keep an eye on it for a week.

agreed. if it isnt overflowing the coolant bottle then i wouldnt worry yet. do as weejohn suggested, if you still have an issue then report back!

aar-on06

Fresh Recruit
Checked the rad hoses when i got home yesterday and there were solid . I think il try a compressor test and if its low il replace the headgasket

weeJohn

Lifer
After you do the compression test as normal, pour a little engine oil, about a table spoon full, into each bore and do the test again. If any low readings shoot way up to near normal, you are looking at a cracked piston ring land I would guess.