Head stud kit 4E

GP82

Member +
Is there a direct replacement headstud kit out there for the 4E?

ARP do headbolts, but no headstud kit for 4E?

John@ECC

Lifer
We have fitted a few engine's with ARP headstuds from a 4AGE. There is a small amount of machine work needed to the block and head but nothing major, we have also used the ARP mainstuds from the 4AGE in the 4E aswell.

GP82

Member +
Hello John, thankyou for the response! Much appreciated, apart from the machine work required to cater for the studs, where there any problems you may have encountered upon installing the head studs like clearance issue or anything that may have come in the way of the installation? Thanks.

GP82

Member +
ARP bolts should be fine. as far as i know you need to rethread the block and drill the head to fit 4age bolts?

Yes, thats correct. The head lifted and blew the headgasket last time around so gonna strengthen the engine where it failed. No chance of the head separating from the headgasket and block with the stud kit where as the ARP bolts like the factory bolts will have a tendancy to eventually loose its clamping force with high boost pressure's.

bongskag

Member +
you have to redrill the threads from 9mm to 10mm, easy for any engineering place im sure . not sure on price , I think it would be cheaper doing bolts but depends on how much boost youll be running !?!?

GI BOY

Member +
Yes, thats correct. The head lifted and blew the headgasket last time around so gonna strengthen the engine where it failed. No chance of the head separating from the headgasket and block with the stud kit where as the ARP bolts like the factory bolts will have a tendancy to eventually loose its clamping force with high boost pressure's.

ARP bolts will hold up to 420bhp after that the head will lift so go for the 4age head studs the head will be built proof

GP82

Member +
you have to redrill the threads from 9mm to 10mm, easy for any engineering place im sure . not sure on price , I think it would be cheaper doing bolts but depends on how much boost youll be running !?!?

Very easy for the engineer to do. Will be runnin' 18 - 22 psi.

ARP bolts will hold up to 420bhp after that the head will lift so go for the 4age head studs the head will be built proof

It is not so much the boost pressure lifting the head i am worried about as the stock factory bolts and gasket are more then capable, but rather the longevity and reliability of the engine. As the engine goes through it's heat cycles and with age, the bolts will have a tendancy to loose it's clamping force. I just don't want to see another headgasket or a bearing in sight again or for atleast a very long time after the engine is built up lol. The stock engine done a very good stint, running hard since 2004 until it eventually blew the headgasket.