Heat wrapping a M/S mani?

Johnny_C

Lifer
ive a WEPR mild steel rad friendly td04 mani,i was wondering would it be safe to heat wrap it?
ive seen on a few threads about manis cracking after being heat wrapped?

thefalls

Member +
M/S manis, normally dont crack when heat wrapped but they do tend to rust quicker and if you dont see the state of the mani [being hidden by the heatwrap] then you wont see any cracks that may have occured.

The issue is mostly to do with s/s manis that tend to crack when heart wrapped since they cannot withstand increased heat.

There was a thread somewhere and the general idea was to avoid heat wrapping a s/s and its fairly safe to heat wrap a m/s manifold.

Johnny_C

Lifer
M/S manis, normally dont crack when heat wrapped but they do tend to rust quicker and if you dont see the state of the mani [being hidden by the heatwrap] then you wont see any cracks that may have occured.

The issue is mostly to do with s/s manis that tend to crack when heart wrapped since they cannot withstand increased heat.

There was a thread somewhere and the general idea was to avoid heat wrapping a s/s and its fairly safe to heat wrap a m/s manifold.
so its worth it then?
and safe enough?

GT_Irl

Member +
have you considered getting a custom heat shield made up? Would not have too worry about whats happening underneath the wrap then:) Would not be overly expensive either and use that heatwrap you've got to wrap your exhaust;)

thefalls

Member +
I would say that yes,its safe enough provided that you get a good quality m/s with good welds and thick runners.And of course good bracing on the manifold and downpipe.

Johnny_C

Lifer
have you considered getting a custom heat shield made up? Would not have too worry about whats happening underneath the wrap then:) Would not be overly expensive either and use that heatwrap you've got to wrap your exhaust;)
hmmm,worth a go,wouldnt be hard to make.
water is getting on the mani with the vents from the varis bonnet,thats why i wanted to wrap it.

GT_Irl

Member +
hmmm,worth a go,wouldnt be hard to make.
water is getting on the mani with the vents from the varis bonnet,thats why i wanted to wrap it.

Ya, I can see why you wanna wrap it..water on mani..not good! I think the wrap would only absorb the water compounding your problem!:( If you can make it yourself lad, your onto a winner really!

Just get som stainless steel sheet from local plumbing supply place, bend or cut and weld it into the shape you want, find a way of mounting it...theres a few free screw threads above the mani in the engine block you coul use iirc from where the standard heat shield was attached and that bit that held the efi pipe on

You can use other materials btw like fibreglass etc. Maybe other members on here might have better suggestions but stainless steel is what im making mine out of

Gryzor

Admin

where abouts in Ireland could ya get a heat shielf made up ?

GT_Irl

Member +
where abouts in Ireland could ya get a heat shielf made up ?

absolutly any welding/steel fabricating company. Make a mock one out of cardboard with all the dimensions as close to right as you can (with all the holes for drilling marked out) bring that along with a drawing of the shield with all the dimensions marked on very clearly and it'l be no bother for them. Even better if you source the sheet of steel yourself for cheap and bring that too! Or wait for JC too get his trading thingy...sorted!:)

Johnny_C

Lifer
absolutly any welding/steel fabricating company. Make a mock one out of cardboard with all the dimensions as close to right as you can (with all the holes for drilling marked out) bring that along with a drawing of the shield with all the dimensions marked on very clearly and it'l be no bother for them. Even better if you source the sheet of steel yourself for cheap and bring that too! Or wait for JC too get his trading thingy...sorted!:)

the problem is,there are so many different manis,it will be hard to judge the sizes for all,id say they will have to be quite large,ive seen a few ARC ones on evos,id cringe at the thought of what they cost to fabricate.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

GT_Irl

Member +
the problem is,there are so many different mani,it will be hard to judge,id say they will have to be quite large,ive seen a few ARC ones on evos,id cringe at the thought of what they cost to fabricate.:rolleyes:

ya, I get ya. What I had in mind just for my ct9 sps mani was a very simple rectangle box basically, hard too describe, but would not be difficult to fabricate. If you can do the work yourself lad and get access too all the different types of mani's I think it would be possible to come up with simple designs for them all (maybe not the ram ones..lol!)

edit: you sound quite comfortable with the idea of making your own, why not give that a shot as a base point?:)

Last edited:

Johnny_C

Lifer
ya, I get ya. What I had in mind just for my ct9 sps mani was a very simple rectangle box basically, hard too describe, but would not be difficult to fabricate. If you can do the work yourself lad and get access too all the different types of mani's I think it would be possible to come up with simple designs for them all (maybe not the ram ones..lol!)
lol,true.i cant see them being to hard to make,buy a load of sheets,cut to size,big vice,shape them,lol!

Rory

Lifer
Johnny you can wrap a Mild steel manifold with no worries.
Mine has been wrapped for over a year with no issues, ive now just took it off in favour of having the manifold cerramic coated.

As for water, why worry?
Your exhaust manifold will soon dry off the water absorbed by the wrap, especially with 800 odd deg of heat going through it.

GT_Irl

Member +
Johnny you can wrap a Mild steel manifold with no worries.
Mine has been wrapped for over a year with no issues, ive now just took it off in favour of having the manifold cerramic coated.

As for water, why worry?
Your exhaust manifold will soon dry off the water absorbed by the wrap, especially with 800 odd deg of heat going through it.

I would agree with that only...what a bout a day when he leaves the car outside and doesnt drive it all day and its pissing raining... as he said the waters coming in those varis vents and on to his mani. If it was wrapped the water would soak into the wrap and start corroding the mani, I mean mild steel and water are not the best of mixes are they, especially with the weather over here. Maybe he could wrap the mani but find some way of directing the water coming through the vents away from on top of the mani?