Help Disgnosing Cluch Problem

steve-gers

Member +
Here is a quick summary and background of the car and problem.

About 2-3 months ago I converted the car from auto to manual and everything has been running fine since then. Today drove in to get her MOT'd and the clutch started to feel funny all of a sudden and without warning. The biting point went from being normal to right down on the floor and from slightly progressive to being like a switch. It is an exedy 3 puk paddle and yes I know paddles are harsh but it used to be alot more progressive than it is now, it is literally on or off. It has now got worse to the point where i have to match the revs to get it into gear and the bite is totally on the floor. To put the car in reverse I need to turn it off then put it in then turn on in gear and then the clutch is kind of half in when it is on the floor so creeps back and revs drop.

I have checked the lines and slave and both seem bone dry, also it hasn't lost any fluid. It doesn't slip in any gears even on full boost and it's 222bhp so I would think it would if the clutch was totally fucked. Also in 4th or 5th at low revs when I plant it, there is still no slipping of the clutch. What could be the cause?

The clutch kit was 2nd hand so I suppose any parts could be worn out. Only other things I could think of would be knackered release bearing (although it is not noisey at all) knackered slave cylinder (how can I test this?).

Any input greatly appreciated as I don't want to fork out for a new clutch quite yet if this is not the problem.

weeJohn

Lifer
Hard to test a slave cylinder, put if the seals are knackered, you could try seeing if it holds the fork without it moving back. You would need help, someone to push the clutch in after you have moved the fork over with a pry bar, then let the fork back onto the cylinder and see if it moves back.

It could be the master cylinder as well if seals are passing, but those 2 are easier to do than a clutch.

steve-gers

Member +
Cheers mate will try that tomorrow as I can get a lend of a ramp then (plus it's wet today). Is the master cylinder easy enough to change from engine bay as when I did manual conversion is was impossible to get down to cut the hole in bulkhead for the master? Also pain in the arse bolting it inside the car :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
check for movement of the slave cylinder when someone presses the pedal. could also be your clutch fork is bent. when fitting performance clutches with stiffer pressure plates these can sometimes bend and/or break.

dac69er

Super Moderator
you would need to remove it from the box to really see. if you pop the rubber boot off and shine a torch in you may be able to see something if your lucky!

steve-gers

Member +
Cjperformance on ukso is doing a group buy on a 6 puk paddle clutch kit for £90 delivered which is really an awesome price so think I will jump on that and bite the bullet and change it again :(

Rory

Lifer
Sumins up anyway, everything worked 100% when i broke the car.

But to be honest i doubt its the clutch itself unless it was installed wrong?
How does the pedal feel?

steve-gers

Member +
Yeah mate I know, everything has been working 100% up until now with me aswell but it was really sudden, no warning at all basically it just went from fine to nothing.

Clutch is definitely installed correctly as I did it myself. Thrust bearing isn't noisey as has not been at all since installed so wouldn't think that has failed but could be a possibility.