HELP! major engine issues!

RallyStarlet

Member +
alright guys, was out last night, on the way back from the pub ( hadnt been drinking obviously) and stopped at a junction and my engine was knocking its brains out. Went to look under the bonnet, couldnt really find out, so drove home at 10mph with my hazards on....15mile.....joke....

Anyways, started it up this morning, and it sounds like the knocking is coming from the head, not the bottom end. Havnt got a clue what it could be, but the engine ticks over perfect, no knocking. Then when i rev it abit, 2000rpm lets say, it starts knocking....Bent valve maybe?

Any other suggestions? gonna start stripping her down in a bit, and see what the issue is> any starlet Guru's in the northwest willing to help? haha

I hope its not a valve :( but dont know what else it could be. Engine hasnt used any oil/water/nothing coming out of the exhaust, no burning smells. Water temp is fine.

HELP please guys! really need to sort this!

Cheers

James

Ted

Member +
bottom end gone does sound like top of engine if heard from above. listen from below. touch a long screwdriver on the sump and put handle side to your ear. should be obvious.

Rory

Lifer
Can you get a quick video clip?

Does it knock quicker, when more revs is applied?
Only real way of bending a valve, if it came into contat with the piston (which i cant see happening as your cambelt is intact)

Whip the cam cover off, and check that it hasnt thrown a shim, fom the valve spring bucket.

If they are all intact, i would be looking to whip the sump off, and check all your bearings in the bottom end.
Draining your oil would give you an indication of bearing failure, as the meatal filings will be in the oil.

North West UK or Ireland?

Good luck.

Rory

dantheman

Member +
wouldnt strip it down until your almost sure where the noise is coming from.. as if you take the head off and you cant find anything wrong you wont be able to start the car to listen again, and you'l end up stripping the whole engine lol

RallyStarlet

Member +
fuck. its sounds exactly like that video...does that mean the bottom end has gone?? with regards to check the bearings, i drain the oil, take the sump off...then?

dont have a pressure gauge, engine is standard apart from FMIC and Front mount filter. 0.7 bar boost.

Can i get away with just getting the crank reground and new bearing if thats whats gone? or do i need a complete new bottom end...ie Piston/rod/crank regrind and bearings?

North west england btw...if anybody fancies helping me this afternoon/tonight.

dantheman

Member +
most cases crank regrind new bearings.. so engine out. strip down, may aswell rebuild bottom end completly ie new rings,oil pump,gaskets etc.

RallyStarlet

Member +
right, ok. Any idea of the price of all that? as in what you just described....i might just strip the car and sell it....how much could i sell my engine for you reacon? 400quid? i only paid 1600quid for the car yousee...and i can easy make that back on parts. HKS exhaust, decat, HRF bodykit, Tein coilovers, TRD anti roll bar...and loads of other things.

but, ill have a look this afternoon. Might just forge it into a track slag....and get another everyday car...who knows....
Any tips on getting the engine out? done loads of conversions before, but anything specific with the starlet?

RallyStarlet

Member +
ah right, well, i might just fix it. But had so many bloody problems already....gearbox, then the clutch, then turbo/manifold.
Does Dave B sell all the stuff i need? bearings, gaskets, oil pump etc?

ToyotaGTturbo

Fresh Recruit
I had this problem last year. i just sent it off to a garage and they fixed it for 500 quid. well worth getting it back on the road m8 :drive:

dantheman

Member +
you can buy a low mileage engine for around £450 these days anyway so might be worth just doing that and dropping it in, then rebuild the fucked engine to forged spec in your own time ;) thats what i did with mine

RallyStarlet

Member +
ye, not a bad idea. Might just strip it, and buy my mates glanza that hes selling. Any idea if Quinn direct will insure a glanza?

weakboy2

Member +
well hang on, it may not even be anything major, if you dont know what your doing mate, take it to a decent garage for a listen, chances are if its knocking the smae when its cold as when its hot its not the bottom end, usually takes a while to completly wreck a bottom end, and when cold its nearly silent or very quiet until the oil thins and then you can hear it at a certain revs.

do the easy stuff first mate, could save you a lot of time and effort

RallyStarlet

Member +
well, sounds exactly like that video that biglad posted ip. and it sounds like that when its warm aswell. but ye, will be taking it to my mates garage first, before i start stripping it i think..
cheers for the advice guys

Big_Daddy

Member +
well, sounds exactly like that video that biglad posted ip. and it sounds like that when its warm aswell. but ye, will be taking it to my mates garage first, before i start stripping it i think..
cheers for the advice guys

Well i qould quickly inspect the shells and replace. also inspect the oil pump or replace. If that fails replace or forge. A memeber on here lost his oild and started knocking, he quickly replaced teh shells and it was grand.

ToyotaGTturbo

Fresh Recruit
yes thats what i did with mine. they said it was bottom end tho and it sounded just like the video. i raped that car tho. got a glanza now tho much nicer to drive and easier on the eyes