Help my engine creaks!

gorgeous1083

Fresh Recruit
Hi everyone, i am fairly certain that my engine or something in the engine bay is creaking.
It has only been doing it for a couple of days, i can hear it very clear when pulling off and when going over bumpy roads.
I also have coilovers on the car so that can't help it much, i think it may be the engine mounts on the way out but was hoping some of you could give me any ideas on it or what to looks for.
Cheers
Rob

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Hey bro,

You can test the engine mounts quite simply. Engage the car in 4th gear when stationary with the hand brake on, raise the revs to around 4k and very slowly engage the clutch on and off, not so you stall it just feather the clutch. Your basically putting as much load as possible on the mounts and anyone will be able to see if there is excessive movement. If there really bad you can move the engine with your hands alone.

Apart from that noises are a pain and are usually hard to discover, hope this helps :)

T

riko666

Member +
Probably engine mounts, I have the same issue - try shaking your engine physically and see if it moves, or jacking the engine slightly from the sump, then you can physically see the slack.

When my flatmate was torquing the Downpipe bolts today the whole engine was moving in it's mounts...if a tiddly human hand can shake an engine, imagine over 100lb/ft of engine twisting force...

gorgeous1083

Fresh Recruit
thats very helpful guys thankyou, i have tried to shake the engine but it only moves very slightly with loads of force!
i know this is a daft idea but could the bolts on the mounts need greasing at all just to get rid of the noise?
much appreciated