help needed for emissions ??!!??

bridog

Member +
as some of you may know , i have come acorss a ep82 which had been standing for about a year .. after getting it back to mine ( and figuring out that it was suffering from the famous throttle body pipe issue ) i have sorted all that out and got it running properly again.

but the time has come to get it mot`d ...

the problem i have is that the emissions are very high .. they are averaging at about 6.0 when they need to be 0.3..

so seeing as its been standing for a year i have so far ......

change oil and filter
changed turbo ( because the old one was smoking )
uprated the actuator ( coz that too was buggered )
relocated the air filter tobehind the grill
by passed the hi/lo solenoid
i have check and cleaned the spark plugs and discap and arm ( but not replaced )
changed the lambda sensor

i am all out of ideas on this one , i am quite lucky as i work in the motor trade and i have use of the machine to i can go back and test any changing i make.

another thing that confused me was , i tested it this morning and it was at 1.0 ( 1st time with the new turbo ) but i have just tested it again this afternoon and it is back to the 6.0 mark . the only thing different was that i drove it 4 miles this morning and only let it idle the afternoon.

any and all help welcome :)

TomS

Lifer
What kind of cat does it have?
If it's the stock one has it been gutted
It could also be a blocked pcv valve

Last edited:

glanzanut

Lifer
if its failing on emmissions best thing to do is before they hook it up, take it a run and hammer the life out of it. this usually brings the emmissions right down. failing that a new lambda sensor or at worst a new cat:freddy:

MarcoFTE

Member +
Do you have the correct ECU for the car?
Manual ECU for Manual FTE, Auto ECU for Auto box..
Lambda has been replaced, so that should not be the problem. Cat is usually okay, but that does not guarantee yours is okay..
Does it idle okay? Have you checked the coolant temp btw?

bridog

Member +
ye it is the correct ecu for the car , it was app fine before it went in for work. i have taken my pcv valve out this morning and given it a clean ( it was coaked with loads of crap )

i have read 2 opinons on this valve...... isit a one way valve or not ?

ter-ep91

Member +
this may be a help to you but i had the exact same problem and mine was that the throttle body was in need of a clean it brought the emissions down alot you should also try a bottle of diptane or else fuel injector cleaner and screw the car before goin into the mot test as the cat is meant to work better when hot