Help needed please - Wireless!!!

ChrisW

Lifer
Im planning on getting a PS3 for Xmas and was wondering how to set up wireless internet.

At the minute we have an external modem box that obviously sits between the tower and the phone line. Is it just a case of replacing the modem with a router and away we go? Or is there more to it? I want it to connect my PS3 to and my bro has a laptop. Help appreciated :D

dan

Member +
yes, you will need a wireless router. Not sure how the ps3 will connect as i dont have one, but you can buy a wireless card for the pc / laptop or buy a usb wireless dongle. You may probably have to set up all the gateway stuff etc. not sure how thats done as im not that technically minded.

ChrisW

Lifer
yes, you will need a wireless router. Not sure how the ps3 will connect as i dont have one, but you can buy a wireless card for the pc / laptop or buy a usb wireless dongle. You may probably have to set up all the gateway stuff etc. not sure how thats done as im not that technically minded.

Hmmm, gateway stuff etc, sounds interesting lol :rolleyes:!

I wont need wireless cards etc will I if the laptop and PS3 are wi-fi enabled or whatever it is???

Matchew

Member +
Yeah man you need a wireless router for the ps because when you set it up you have to syncronise the the ps3 to the router so you can use the internet and play online.

Cause you get the serial number and the model number off the router and the pus3 searches for the router and picks up the signal dead easy to do and only has to be done once

ChrisW

Lifer
Yeah man you need a wireless router for the ps because when you set it up you have to syncronise the the ps3 to the router so you can use the internet and play online.

Cause you get the serial number and the model number off the router and the pus3 searches for the router and picks up the signal dead easy to do and only has to be done once

Ok cool so every router will have the serial numbers etc on them?

Matchew

Member +
yeah at home mines a sky router so
and it has the number on the side

like router name or model carent remember sky00095---
and the serial number 122568
as an example

ChrisW

Lifer
yeah at home mines a sky router so
and it has the number on the side

like router name or model carent remember sky00095---
and the serial number 122568
as an example

Yea sound, I know that the sky one's do because most people I know have the Sky routers but Im buying one from PC world so wasn't quite sure if they would be the same and be PS3 friendly so to speak ;)!

GTdan

In The Closet
how long have you been with your internet company and are you tied in? i went wireless from normnal broadband around 3 months ago.

was paying £15 a month for it and been with them for like 4 years, phoned them up and they said they can give me a wirless router, faster conection for £8.99 per month.
3 days later - router was here and was set up.

ps3 has wireless built in, so it will pick up your wireless router.

ChrisW

Lifer
Well we dont pay for our broadband lol, kind of a freebie that my Dad gets through his job ;)!

But you know when broadband companies advertise "Wireless Broadband", I take it that the internet is exactely the same, they just provide you with a wireless router as apposed to a modem??? Stupid question I know lol but just want to make sure :p!

GTdan

In The Closet
Well we dont pay for our broadband lol, kind of a freebie that my Dad gets through his job ;)!

But you know when broadband companies advertise "Wireless Broadband", I take it that the internet is exactely the same, they just provide you with a wireless router as apposed to a modem??? Stupid question I know lol but just want to make sure :p!

correct :cool: