help please

simonleeds

Member +
ive just put the car back together after changing head gasket and piston no 3
it runs but when i put power on it bogs down it runs fine if driving like a granny but assoon as you put your foot on the throttle hard it bogs down any help on this please guys cheers

also i cut out a bee-r rev limiter before i stripped the engine but dont see why that would change anything tho.....

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
Has the engine light come on? If not it could be a throttle position sensor fault, try disconnecting the TPS and see if things improve.

simonleeds

Member +
i havnt changed the ignition timing
no engine managment light
i was 2 teeth out and as i moved it a tooth each time it improved could it of been 2 teeth out and still start ill give it ago like
as for the tps ill give it ago should it drive ok with it unplugged???
thanks guys i hope i am just a tooth out no timing marks any more because some one has hacked the cover off ........ had to use a stick in cylinder 1 to get tdc..... lol obviously abit rough

Rory

Lifer
Theres the dots on the rear side of the gears on the cams to line up.
The 4e markings on the cam pulley, lines up with a dimple on the cam mcap behind it.
And on the bottom cambelt pulley(not the crank pulley) there is marks to line up on it.

simonleeds

Member +
yeah cheers i cant get the crank pully off to see any marks
are you saying theres marks on the block itself??? so if theres no bottom timing cover on there is still marks?

Texx

Super Moderator
are you saying theres marks on the block itself??? so if theres no bottom timing cover on there is still marks?

DSC01314.jpg

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
theres also the bolt that goes into the intake camshaft did you put that in when u removed to do the gasket ? you have to remove the bolt once you put the camshafts back in and inline, al try getting a picture of the timing manual that shows which marks to go from

Last edited:

simonleeds

Member +
ok done got all marks lined up and its even quite rough on idle and a little smokey like too much fuel?
pulled out tps and just made it rougher on idle :homer:

could i of missed a plug from the back of the engine?? im well lost :(

might get some pulls tomorrow and get the crank pully off and fit a new timing cover ive had it one tooth both ways and its best where it is now....

also unplugged lamba sensor and it made no diffrence.... well to idle anyway i can just tell its rong engines juddering

Chris@CCM

Member +
lol lol lol u cant just fire it a tooth here and there line it up like it should be and set ur ing timing to 10 d btdc and set ur tps and it will be fine

simonleeds

Member +
yeah i didnt put the servise bolt in when removed but i did tension it and fit it when installing the cams and obviously removed it again once set:p
i know where the timing marks are etc 2-1 dots inside cam cover 4e mark to dot outside and crank slot to timing mark on block

cheers for the help guys would modern diognostics pick anything up or is the car too old?

simonleeds

Member +
ok thanks chris why would i have to reset tps if i havnt moved it? also how do i set it?
ignition timing is set at the mark on the camshaft now neutrel i will get the ignition timing set but i know its know theres somthing wrong

if timing was out would it cause a rough idle but rev clean in neutrel but under load bog down???

im listening to you guys and i do appreciate the help

Texx

Super Moderator
The woodruff key in the crankshaft should point straight up when the crank is at TDC. You can check that by just removing the crank pulley bolt. Then check if the camshaft pulley lines up with it's timing marks.

timing.jpg

ok thanks chris why would i have to reset tps if i havnt moved it?

If you haven't moved the TPS and it hasn't taken a knock from anything, then it's best to leave the TPS as it is for the time being.

simonleeds

Member +
ok guys timing is ok now havnt done ignition yet but.....
i tapped the tps and belive it or not the engie statrted to run smoother so the question is how do i set it ive obviously knocked it putting the head in and out many thanks guys

the diagram was more than helpful thanks