HELP! Stereo switching OFF!

seed

Member +
Hi. Thanks for looking and I really needed HELP! I have been driving without stereo since the first day i bought as everything was stripped off. Finally decided to put some stereo in and speakers and stuffs.

Wired them all up today with the help of a really good mate (jobyonekenobe) on here and everything was fine till.....When we turned the bass up or volume up to a certain level (about 15 on Alpine) it shut itself off and restart again. Thought there's something wrong with the ignition wire or 12v, check and it's all good. Have good Ground wired up. Later thought it was the Amp/Sub, disconnected it and it's still doing the same thing.

Then it went all good till i switch on the headlight and it DID the same again (shut off and switched on itself again)

Now, What is there problem with this? Any help appreciated.

I've got SAFC, HKS EVC 4, RPM/shift light, Blitz Power Meter SJ, boost gauge connected. Was this a reason it's draining too much power off my poor battery and causing it the stereo to do so? Cheers

Thanks for looking and PLEASE DO HELP!

Cheers, seed

Craig

Lifer
I would definately say it is the battery struggling... maybe a capacitor would help. Sure Hybrid was selling an extremely good one in the classifieds.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
some stereo's do that for a safety reason, its not getting enough power, check again for good earthing, not only from the stereo even earthing from the terminal to the body. mine used to do that and we found i had a bad earthing(in my mini)

seed

Member +
Cheers guys, any other advise? Is it because off all the other install of gauge and meter that caused this?

seed

Member +
Bump! Anyone?

I have been told i needed a bigger ampere battery. Will these do any harm?

I've also been told to go and have the alternator checked?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
could be both but the if the alternator has a problem it wont be long til your battrey will die. you still have the small battrey from japland?

Monkfish

Member +
some stereo's do that for a safety reason, its not getting enough power, check again for good earthing, not only from the stereo even earthing from the terminal to the body. mine used to do that and we found i had a bad earthing(in my mini)

Cookie!

Before checking the earthing, put a voltmeter/multi-meter across the battery terminals with the engine off, it is possible to battery is either knackered, almost knackered or just not powerfull enough. You'll probably find you still have the slim-line-Japanese-battery-of-joking fitted, which has just about enough power to run the car basics, plus a little bit more.

Don't worry about putting a higher ampere battery in, it's fine provided the voltage is correct (12v). The ampere rating on a battery is only it's maximum output, not what it hoofs out all the time. I used to have an Optima Redtop dry cell battery in my C2, that thing could hoof out 800 cold cranking amps. :eek:

glanzanut

Lifer
as the guys said mate it will almost def be a bad earthing as my rockfords did it untill i put in a bigger earth cable :p