help!

44carl44

Fresh Recruit
started the car the day started fine.left it running for 10 mins.then it cut out.i attempted to start it again then it just backfired then would not start.i then took the spark plugs out they were black and a bit damp i got some new ones stuck them in the car wont start just keeps poping and wont turn over.

any ideas people

thanks

starletjosh

Member +
when was the last time you had a cambelt change? and that could be the reason but then the plugs wouldnt be wet

44carl44

Fresh Recruit
not did one since i have had it.but i have olny done 500 miles since a got it.the guy at the garage says it may be because its cold and it is running lean.so it may be putting to much fuel in when its cold.

starletjosh

Member +
if its running lean then thats not enough fuel. id check your cambelt mate if its turning over faster and backfiring then thats what it sounds like to me

Ben89

Lifer
does it have oil? also im not sur if your getting the meaning of lean and rich mixed up?
rich=too much fuel
lean=too little fuel
It might be worth whipping the cambelt cover off and checking the integrety of the belt, did it have any problems prior to this? running lumpy etc?
if the plugs are wet and its not firing properly i would be inclined to think its cam related. ie belts snapped/slipped

GP82

Member +
Check voltage on battery then, get an old sparky, put it on the end of all the leads one by one and confirm you getting spark. Then check if the fuel pump still operates. Sound's like alternator thou, it's prob drained the battery, overworked the alternator and blew a fuse!

44carl44

Fresh Recruit
does it have oil? also im not sur if your getting the meaning of lean and rich mixed up?
rich=too much fuel
lean=too little fuel
It might be worth whipping the cambelt cover off and checking the integrety of the belt, did it have any problems prior to this? running lumpy etc?
if the plugs are wet and its not firing properly i would be inclined to think its cam related. ie belts snapped/slipped

sorry mate got them mixed up running rich.it was running great before this not had a problem with it.i will check cambelt out now.