Hitting fuel cut after fitting air filter relocation?

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Need some help. i just relocated my air filter behind my grille which has made a surprising difference. It nw boosts more and faster but.. it nw hits fuel cut in fourth and fifth? i have a jam fcd and also a blitz acces ecu which has a fcd built in so hw is it still hittin fuel cut?

I did wonder if i would need to reset my ecu so that it can set itself up to give more fuel for the change in air flow due to the relocation?

Any help would me much appreciated. thanx.

AdDaMan

Member +
you need to take the jam fcd out for a start if you have a blitz ecu.
Defo shouldnt be hitting fuel cut, are you sure thats what it is?

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
ye its defo fuel cut, used to do it b4 i got fcd and ecu. Just weird its started after relocating the air filter? Its ran spot ot for the last year with both fitted..

dark_knight

Member +
why would you have both the jam fcd and blitz ecu in the same setup..? that's like have two front axles both with steering capability.. :D

AdDaMan

Member +
The boost will have gone up a little after relocating the filter but obviously shouldnt be cutting if you have the ecu fitted. You have a boost gauge?

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Ye i have a boost gauge.. Not to sure why it has both, it was mark at CMB that did the work. i had the fcd fitted then when i gt my engine swapped i gt the ecu fitted aswel, never rele thought why it had both lol.

As i sed, with the ecu self learning could it need reseting so it can compensate the fuel for the extra air flow and boost?

dark_knight

Member +
@chewy1369: if indeed the ecu is self-learning then check your documentation on how to reset it then drive it around for a bit for it to adapt to the new changed variables..

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Ye i know how to reset it and "run it in" and will try this later when i gt home.

As far as i know you reset it by diconnecting it for 30secs thn reconnect, let it idle for 10 mins cold, drive it normally for a while (first 10 starts?) then give it beans lol.
Can anyone add to this or is that about right?

dark_knight

Member +
sounds very similar to the scooby ecu-reset procedure so i'd say that's about right. don't be in a rush to reconnect the battery though.. you can go get a cuppa while leaving it disconnected.. :D just to be sure.. :)

Vglanza

Member +
Can't understand the FCD attached too a Blitz ECU. It really shouldn't be hitting fuel cut with the Blitz ECU, Have you looked into any mechanical reasons as too why there would be a lack of fuel? Pump maybe? the Ecu is self learning too a point, if you drive the bejesus outa it when you hook it back in it'll go for one of it more aggressive settings.

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Kool will defo try that thn. Just not to sure how much to drive it normally before nailing it? I heard when you do nail it for the first time power will go up thng down thn level itself out at what it thinks is right?

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
I dont think ther is any mehcanical problems, it was perfect before fittin the relocation kit thn after it sometimes hits fuel cut..

I dont think ther is any mehcanical problems, it was perfect before fittin the relocation kit thn after it sometimes hits fuel cut..

ur fcd was fitted long before ur ecu was bought and its set to 12 wich is off and its running threw the ecu are u sure u aint reaching the ecu's cut limmit ? do u have enough fuel pressure ? have u cheacked ur actuator to see if it holds pressure ok ? all intecooler pipes etc

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
What do you mean by the ecu's cut limit? ok cool so can i remove that then?
All the intercooler pipes are ok as i checked thm when relocating air filter.
Havnt checked the actuator tho, how would i do that?

Vglanza

Member +
Well disconnect the battery atleast 10 minutes before hand, plug in connect everything back up, and Idle from cold for about 15 minutes, it needs the time too adjust the determine roughly what amount of fuel your car needs, these ECU's are based on the standard Toyota map with advanced timing and are designed too run rich. your rev limit should be Higher than before about 7200. with the relocation you could be pushing slightly more boost, therefore needing more fuel, and if your pump cant pump it quick enough it will give you problems, what boost are you running?

Last edited:

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
As i sed im going to try this later, thanx for the times etc tho.
my car has always revved til around 8000 even before fittin ecu...

Vglanza

Member +
Np mate, should have said after letting it run from cold for 15 minutes, turn it off, then drive the car normally for a while, 5 miles or so then nail it, might take somwhere around 100 miles too get it final choice on a map. well stock rev limit is 7200, mine goes too 7500 with the blitz in, but only done it once for curiousity, ct9 loses its poke around 6500 for me, no need too bounce it off the limiter.

Last edited:

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Ye it is boosting 1bar now and before it was 0.9.
I do also have a walbro fuel pump so surely that shud be enough?

Vglanza

Member +
yeh walbro should be grand and 1 bar is below max what these can fuel. try setting it up the way i said and see how you get on.

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Ye same with me, have only done it to see what it does, seems to be around 8000 mayb 8200 thot that was just normal for a starlet lol
When you say it mite take 100 miles to get a final choice, would this mean i have to nail it for 100 miles? and when will i know when it has made its choice?