Honda boys!

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
Hey guys,

Im thinking about changing my car due to personal things, think i may have to get something n/a and realiable. Ive posted on honda forums but just thought i would check on here aswell.

Has anyone gone from a turbocharged car into a vtec and what are your thoughts?

Is it possible for get 200-220bhp for a b16 or b18 engine without internal work?

Whats sort of mpg do 200+bhp civics do?

Just want to know if i will get the same thrill out of a vtec.

Cheers,

Ryan.

sanchez

Member +
Im pretty sure most people got bored and come back to turbo world lol
Surely a gt/glanza is cheaper on everything anyway, tax, insurence fuel etc?

wesgt

Lifer
yeh i tried an sir crx, ek9 and a b18'd eg, and got fed up, came right back to a starlet. there cool and new for a couple of weeks and then thats it!
very hard to get those sort of figures out of a b16, not to mention very costly!
i'd stick with the starlet if i were you

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
Im pretty sure most people got bored and come back to turbo world lol
Surely a gt/glanza is cheaper on everything anyway, tax, insurence fuel etc?

Yea thats what i think i would lol unless it was the same speed as my G. Just would be good having a slighly bigger car, but i probably could do with everything being cheaper as im broke all the time now :(

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
right dude, to start off your gonna get soo many people saying that they all come back, i've driven a fair few fwd car's and loads of different set up starlet's, and none compare to dan's ek9 b18!!!!!!!!
if i was to ever to buy a fwd again it would be that one and no other:rockon:

and it was the funniest at the track day when the civic's never had to pop the bonnet once and all the starlet boy's had oil and smoke coming out of everywhere:haha:

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
right dude, to start off your gonna get soo many people saying that they all come back, i've driven a fair few fwd car's and loads of different set up starlet's, and none compare to dan's ek9 b18!!!!!!!!
if i was to ever to buy a fwd again it would be that one and no other:rockon:

and it was the funniest at the track day when the civic's never had to pop the bonnet once and all the starlet boy's had oil and smoke coming out of everywhere:haha:

Would it be worth getting a b18 thats wasnt in a uk vti or similar tho? i mean ek9's are different chasis wise arent they.

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
yeah ek9's are all seam welded etc, but a eg with a b18 from a teg would be ripping mate, would be as quick as a td04 starlet all day, and you would piss all over it round the bend's:rockon:

all depends on your budget, a k20 ek9 with TB'S would be the bets ever!!!!

yeah ek9's are all seam welded etc, but a eg with a b18 from a teg would be ripping mate, would be as quick as a td04 starlet all day, and you would piss all over it round the bend's:rockon:

No offence mate but the only place that an b18 eg would be faster than a td04 starlet is in the dreams of a honda lover. I agree that it would be a good car if thats what your into but bang for you buck the GT/Glanza is miles ahead of it. Its cheaper to insure, cheaper to tax, cheaper to run, its not much smaller than a eg and WAY more tuneable.

wesgt

Lifer
No offence mate but the only place that an b18 eg would be faster than a td04 starlet is in the dreams of a honda lover. I agree that it would be a good car if thats what your into but bang for you buck the GT/Glanza is miles ahead of it. Its cheaper to insure, cheaper to tax, cheaper to run, its not much smaller than a eg and WAY more tuneable.

well said!

dan_ep82

Member +

i think you would be surprised, i have seen dans b18 go and it would easily keep with a typical td04 starlet, the handling of the civic is far superior to a starlet aswel.

there two completely different cars i had a b16 ek4 and loved it.

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
:p you never been in a proper stripped ek9 b18 then i take it dude, dan's done 13.6-7 on a stock b18, most the td04 boys stroggle to get into the 13's over here:haha:

weakboy2

Member +
i've gone from 250+ bhp starlet to a 1.4 EJ9 civic lol.

civic is much better does shitloads of miles to a tank!

30854_10150164009150531_530400530_12249026_6777138_n.jpg

Last edited:
i think you would be surprised, i have seen dans b18 go and it would easily keep with a typical td04 starlet, the handling of the civic is far superior to a starlet aswel.

there two completely different cars i had a b16 ek4 and loved it.

Ya, your right, id be VERY surprised. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm just going on the evidence that ive seen. A lad I know has an eg saloon track car, with a b18 bored out to 1.9 and has the full skunk2 catalogue in the engine an compression of over 12:1 (not sure of the exact figure) and running on 114 octane racing fuel with a Hondata ecu and its only 220 bhp. They do have very good handling, im not disputing that but its advange in handling is only going to be of use on the track and the lad is talking about a road car. And if you want to get 200-220 bhp from a b18 then you will have to spend a small fortune on it. I'm dyno-ing cars every week so im not pulling figures out of thin air. We all know the price of a decent Td04 kit and with the right fueling mods and management, running at a bar you'll have 210 bhp from a 4e

Last edited:

Rory

Lifer
Am i the only one to think there isnt much of a diffirence between a B16 and B18??

Into perspective, my GT when it was 1 - 1.1 bar easily had any B16/B18 Civic etc.
The twins CRX (pre turbo) was never beaten by any B18 either.....

As for the hanadling, it all depends who's behind the wheel....

Anyway, back in the topic in hand,
Aye there enjoyable fun, take a hiding and come back for more. MPG is really good also
Go for it, but dont expect the VTEC to give the same punch as a turbo.
If you want the punch, turbo the bugger, then you will see away most things away on the road.

starletsam

Member +
A mate of mine has a b18 in a old 1.5lsi shell (can't remember the model but it's the same as a ek9) with LSD management ect and stripped out to the max.handles amazing and is quicker than my standardish starlet but the best time he got at Santa pod was a 14.4 however I think it's got a cracked piston ring or something lol but he's forever putting fuel In it!depends what you want really though mate will cost more to run but you could have it handle amazing which is great fun on good roads!

Knightsy-EP91

Member +

Yeah thought so. I do love the EG's :cool: have to see whats about. Is that the b18c4? ive never been in a proper vtec tbh. I would love a k20 EG but its like 6-7 grand aint it? and itb omg *drowl* LOL!

cossiej23

Member +
I moved from a forged tdo4 glanza (273bhp) into a jdm dc2,i love my dc2 but it will never compete with glanza for acceleration or fuel economy!dc2 is a fantastic handling car and by far better looking than a glanza and has never broke anything unlike my glanza lol!still miss boost so i may turbo the integra lol!

ASHep82

Member +

I had a 2001 civic type r owned 4 month but after the first week I got bored so part exd it for a glanza I prefer the glanza so much more and i think it's much better the way the power comes in.but one thing the type r use to handle awesome.I had a ep82 before the type r so I knew what I wa missing

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
I moved from a forged tdo4 glanza (273bhp) into a jdm dc2,i love my dc2 but it will never compete with glanza for acceleration or fuel economy!dc2 is a fantastic handling car and by far better looking than a glanza and has never broke anything unlike my glanza lol!still miss boost so i may turbo the integra lol!

That would dissapoint me if it didnt feel fast or i "missed boost"