horrible grinding noise when turning left?

dj-rix

Member +
my cars making a horrible grinding noise when i take left turns, no noise at all when turning right.
also makes a similar noise when going straight slowly.(not as loud as when turning left)

what cold be the problem??

have a trd lsd geabox..could it be a problem with the diff??

seems to drive fine and lsd still pulls as normal..

Idrees

Banned
You checked the dust shield behind the brake disc? Mine was doing the same thing and that was the problem.

dj-rix

Member +
just went out and had a quick look/feel , the shields seem to be on tight, hardly any play in them.

what else could it be?

dj-rix

Member +
doesnt look like its the shield making the noise, it isnt touching the disc at all.

what else would make this noise? could it be the cv or a bearing?

If its a bearing it would be more of a whuring noise - Have tou checked your CV Boots for any tears or rips? Does the noise increase with more accelaration?

GTnomez

Member +
check the disk guard as above but that would also make a noise while going right aswell.

To me is sounds similar to thw wheel bearing as that is also a grinding noise due to the caliper rubbing on the brake disc because of thw wheel bearing gone making it sit at an angle.

nest thing to do would be to jack up the car and shake the wheel up and down. if there is play then the wheel bearing has gone

dj-rix

Member +
i put the car on stands and had both front wheels off, let it run in 1st gear ,full locking the wheel left + right and found that the noise is coming from drivers side cv boot/hub area.

how can i check to see which part needs replacing.

either cv joint or wheel bearing?

as i dont want to replace the wrong part, want to know for certain before i buy anything.

GTnomez

Member +
i dont think it would be the wheel bearing if you had the wheels off and in the air as they are not under the load of the engine which creates the grinding noise.

have you checked the disk guard?

Sean_GT

Member +
Check for splits in your CV boot, if you find any thats your problem. If not then Jack the car up and see if there is any play in the front wheel, if there is then it will be wheel bearing.

I think it more likely the disc guard get a hammer and screwdriver and beat it!

GTnomez

Member +
again the car has to be under load from the engine when turning left or right to determine if its the CV, it should make a clicking sound.

tried checking the inner arches are not rubbing on full lock?