How can you tell if youve got forged engine??

Just wonderin if any1 nos hw u can tel if youve got forged pistons etc as i bought mines was advertised and bloke sed it had piston failure so had full enginerebuild with forged pistons but ive got no receipts to prove it just his word, (have few recepits 4 cambelt, gaskets, thermostat nufin else) is ther anyway of tellin apart from the obvious stripin the engine???

buckets

Member +
compression test ,mybe you can tell when starting up when cold forged engines are more noisy until warmed up

Reeco

Member +
got a reciept for the headgasket? check what size that is? its definatley not an acurate way of telling but i shouldnt imagine it would be a thick one if it isnt forged? personaly wouldnt have bought it as a forged engine without some kind of proof mate.

i jus swapd it m8 for my old car m8 wuznt to bovad if it wuz forgd or not just a bonus if it is lol i fink the recepits for a gasket that got vhanged by previous previous owner nt the last one who forgd it, so i dno wot hees done

dac69er

Super Moderator
see loads advertised as forged when most of them arent. its an easy thing to say it has as its hard to prove.

Rob H

Member +
Take it to a garage that has a bore cam (a long bendy camera that will go down the spark plug hole) you should be able to tell from the shape of the top of the piston. You can even go as far as going into the oil return into the sump for the turbo to see the rods. That would be the easiest way to do it.

AdamB

Member +
Every tuning company should have a bore scope, some garages might also have them.
Whip the sump off when you next do an oil change ;)

Rob H

Member +
oh ryt that camera sounds bit rare tbh hw many garages have them lol

More than you think by the look of it most garages have them these days there a very handy thing to have for diagnostic work or just trying to fined stuff ya have dropped lol

GTnomez

Member +
How can you tell it has forged pistons by taking the sump off? I get you can tell if the rods are but the pistons too?

Wouldnt you have to take a whole one out?

Rob H

Member +
Also the piston tends to be thicker on forged pistons where the gudgeon pin goes through the piston and flat bottomed with a machined finish were as the standard ones are just cast.