How could timing be so far out?

pacman

Member +
So I changed my head gasket at the weekend and once I'd put the cambelt back on I thought I'd best check the spark timing. I'm glad I did as even though the dizzy was put back where it was (middle of the adjustment range) it was running at almost 10deg *AFTER* TDC. How/why would it be so wrong? I've owned the car for 10 weeks or so and it had a unichip installed by the previous owner so I was reluctant to start altering things as I don't know how it's been mapped, but I wasn't prepared to leave it as it was. I max'd the adjustment on the dizzy (although in an ideal world it shouldn't be like that) and its now around 9deg btdc, but why would it have been so far off?

Once i'd timed it up it was like a different car, much more responsive, but i'm not happy about giving it a bootfull yet so I'm gonna get the afr etc. checked tomorrow.

So yeah... WTF is with that timing?

Ur cam timing correct ? ie the 2 little dots matching the one large dot inside the rocker cover ?
Ur timing marks on the belt 100% correct ?

pacman

Member +
The timing marks on the 'cogs' match up when the cams mesh together, so when you look at them from the gearbox side of the engine the intake mark is at 9 and the exhaust mark at 3. I can't say I noticed any dots on the rocker cover. The hole above 4e on the cam pulley lines up with the small hole in the head and the bit on the crank sprocket lines up with the mark on the block.

Made a schoolboy error first time round and had the cam pulley one notch out...

Is it possible the tuner set the spark to fire after tdc then altered it with the unichip? Seems strange to me...

Nano

Member +
yes stock timing is 10 degre BTDC, checked it 3 months ago and put it to 13deg btdc (95 ron). the car runs better under boost