how do you diy bonnet raises

dac69er

Super Moderator
washer seem to be the normal thing. you could buy or make spacers out of plastic or metal.
either way they will do the job

jonnyo5991

Fresh Recruit
because i think it looks good on jap cars , so just put a washer nin between bonnet and mounting points use same bolts?

dac69er

Super Moderator
because i think it looks good on jap cars , so just put a washer nin between bonnet and mounting points use same bolts?

yup, basically. i think most people use longer bolts, depends how high you raise it. i dont know how long the stock bolts are so you may get away with 1cm but then again you may not.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Not at all, Raising bonnet actually introduces high pressure to the top of the engine bay, decreasing the ability to flow where it's designed to. Plus it looks nasty

http://autospeed.co.nz/cms/title_Undertrays-Spoilers-Bonnet-Vents-Part-1/A_2159/article.html

Read part 1,2 and 3 if you're serious about improving airflow

but if you have a fmic then you have altered the flow of air you need through the engine bay anyway so that doesnt really come into it so much.

also, the jam racing frp bonnet that parkiboy is selling has vents in the rear of it so it must do something as i cant imagine a half decent jap company like jam making pointless addition.

i agree that the look isnt to my taste. plus i would never do it on an everyday car as water would pour in the rear of the bay when it rained or you washed it

Mike_ep91

Member +
a dozen washers and 2 bolts that are a about 5mm longer then stock ones are all you need to raise the bonnet.i have mine raised and it keeps the engine bays temps nice and low.