How do you remove the exhaust heat covers?

squeekyduck

Member +
Hi all,

I want to change my handbrake cables but the heat covers underneath dont seem to have removable bolts. They just have rivets. Is it ok to remove these and leave them off? I dont see how I will be able to get them back on once they are off.

keep-it-flat

Member +
Hi all,

I want to change my handbrake cables but the heat covers underneath dont seem to have removable bolts. They just have rivets. Is it ok to remove these and leave them off? I dont see how I will be able to get them back on once they are off.

i removed my one a good bit back because the exhaust was hitting it sometimes and making desperate rackit and rattling and have had no hassle since, it was easy take off too just put it up on a lift and 3 or 4 bolts to remove

SupaStu

Member +
Not where the handbrake connections are. It is riveted to the underneath. The bolted section is further up near to the engine. I changed a hand brake cable a few weeks ago, and ended up just hacking/bending it to bits just to change the cable. It was a nightmare. I can see the part no for the rivets on the EPC so they must just be replaced every time it is removed.

I'm not sure what problem or damaged it may cause if they are missing though?