How does insuring 2 cars work?

chinaone

Member +
I am about to buy a S13, and keeping my GT. What would work out better? having an insure on each or together? another thing i want to have my sisters name on the GT as well. Anyone can give me some advise:confused:

steveep82

Member +
I have 3 seperate policies for my 3 cars, usually it works out cheaper than the multicar policies. Of course, you can only use your no claims on one policy. Best thing you can do is get a quote for the silvia and the gt separately and then call the likes of Sky insurance, admiral, etc and see if they can give you a better price as a multicar policy.

dac69er

Super Moderator
pisses me off a bit the 'no claims' system. i have to pay silly money to insure another car as all my no claims are on my others.
if i was to insure another car its as though i have no, no claims so have to pay silly prices!

Craig

Lifer
pisses me off a bit the 'no claims' system. i have to pay silly money to insure another car as all my no claims are on my others.
if i was to insure another car its as though i have no, no claims so have to pay silly prices!

I have to agree... To me, no claims are supposed to be an indication of how safe a drive you are (or lucky). Just because you have a 2nd car, does not make you any less safe.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I have to agree... To me, no claims are supposed to be an indication of how safe a drive you are (or lucky). Just because you have a 2nd car, does not make you any less safe.

exactly. fact of the matter is. you will be using the car less often if you have 2 or more cars of your own so surely it should be quite a bit less????

it is stupid :confused:

chinaone

Member +
I guess having to use the no claim on the S13, and without on the GT.
Thought it be cheaper to insure on 2 cars:confused:

Ted

Member +
if youre over 25 you will be able to insure the gt as a classic(has to be a second car)

VXR230BHP

Member +
I was thinking the same will i need a separte policy for the GT or can i just legally put the car in someone elses name, tax it and still drive it as i have fully comprehensive insurance on my VXR and the GT will only be driven at the weekend :confused:

bildo

Member +
I was thinking the same will i need a separte policy for the GT or can i just legally put the car in someone elses name, tax it and still drive it as i have fully comprehensive insurance on my VXR and the GT will only be driven at the weekend :confused:

Technically that would be insurance fronting since you would be the main driver of the car.

weeJohn

Lifer

Its to stop fraud.

If you have an accident in one car you could still drive with the other policy and claim full no claims.

You could get traders insurance but the cover has exclusions.

JDMmark

Fresh Recruit
I am about to buy a S13, and keeping my GT. What would work out better? having an insure on each or together? another thing i want to have my sisters name on the GT as well. Anyone can give me some advise:confused:

You could get your sister to insure the GT Turbo, then you insure the S13 as open insurance and you can drive any car, as long as it is insured. Just a suggestion.

JDMmark

Fresh Recruit
Yea, if she was main driver on the GT then he insured the S13 as open insurance, then it's all happy days :)

JDMmark

Fresh Recruit
Yea, more or less once you have one car insured with open insurance you can drive any car (as long as that car is insured also)

EDIT: Does that make sense? Lol