how long would a 4efe last in a glanza?

adam ep

Member +
im so sick of paying for 4efte engines so thinking about throwuing in a 4efe engine into my glanza till i get a tm developments engine, how long would it last..im runing tdo4...

Rob H

Member +
probably not that long the 4efe conrods are quite a bit weaker than the turbo ones and so are the valve springs. I do know first hand the can take boost tho as I run a turbo'd 4efe quite some time ago! I was running around a bar of boost on mine with a turbo around the same size as a CT9 maybe a bit bigger so I suppose its down to how hard you drive it to how long it will last, you would have to swap a lot of things over like the thermostat housing for the coolant pipes for the turbo, injectors, distributor, inlet manifold and most of the sensors just to get it to fit the turbo wiring harness and get it running! its a lot of work for something that may not last all that long!!

AdamB

Member +
Not very long unless you get oil feed/return lines plumbed in mate.
Wouldn't run no more than about 0.6 bar on it, the rods won't be able to handle much.

Edit... What he said ^^^ :beer:

adam ep

Member +
would it be okay to use as a run around. using little boost? did u drive on the 4efe you had turbo'd rob?

Rob H

Member +
I drove mine for around 6 to 12 months but mine was in a car that should have had the 4efe engine so all I did was make up a manifold bolted a turbo to it and made up all my own custom oil pipes and return and the turbo was not water cooled so had no problems there. I ran it on a EMB too which is more or less what I will be doing very soon again but my engine this time is no standard 4efe but it IS still a 4efe have a look at my garage!

But yes it could work!

AdamB

Member +
As Rob said, it could work but it is a lot of hassle.
Whats the reason for you going through so many FTE engines?

adam ep

Member +
just bad luck, went through 6 of tehm.. between pistons throught the block, headgaskets and bottom end bearings....im thinking of buying a 4efte with bottom end bearing damage..putting in new acl bearings a hoping it will work :)

AdamB

Member +
That's the chance you have though in buying engines mate, seems like a lot of bad luck you've had.
Yeah you would be better off doing that, atleast you know its mechanically sound. Do piston rings as well whilst your at it just to make sure :)

Rob H

Member +
I think you would just be throwing you money away still getting one with bottom end damage unless your going to fully strip it and flush it out! ive been there don that too lol it only needs something the size of a grain of sand or smaller to still be in there and ya back to square one! but thats the problem if ya dont have the funds its what to do for the best! you may get away with a set of shells but its still over 100 quid to spend on a hope it will work lol

adam ep

Member +
i think i will do thta, cus i kno the bottom end in my engine is good, i know i have a non turbo crank in my car but its in great condition and works very well... so everyone think it would be a good idea to be the damadged engine and rebuild the the bottom end with my parts? i think its easier than building the top half anyway.. :)

AdamB

Member +
I think the cranks are the same as the turbo ones anyway.
If it was me I would rebuild a bottom end with new shells, gaskets, oil pump, water pump, piston rings and throw a head on it.
Will you be doing the rebuild yourself or get someone else to do it?

Rob H

Member +
that would be the way to do it! I am more than sure the 4efe crank will take it I am that sure thats what I will be running in mine with the greddy TD05 16G strapped to it!!

adam ep

Member +
If it was me I would rebuild a bottom end with new shells, gaskets, oil pump, water pump, piston rings and throw a head on it.
?

and a steel headgasket?? sure thats it now im gonna stick with thta, yeah ill flush it all out and make sure its clean....

adam ep

Member +
just 1 bar on the td04... mapped on a ultimate...

is there a chance my crank could be bent from the heat when my first engine done the headgasket?

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
well my bottom end went mate and it turned out to be the bearings.the crank was fine so i got lucky.new set of acl ordered and shoud put them in and away she goes again.but if u do buy a damaged engine(bottom end damage) dot forget to flush it out because as rob said it only takes a grain of sand.and the 4efe crank will fit n the 4efte...its just the fte is a bit more beefer iirc

AdamB

Member +
just 1 bar on the td04... mapped on a ultimate...

is there a chance my crank could be bent from the heat when my first engine done the headgasket?

No the crank should be fine, but check the block for warpage if only using the bottom end, but for good practice, check both the cylinder head and the block for warpage. Get them both skimmed to be sure! You'll only be going through headgaskets. Check the crank bearings also to see if they are scored, you might need a regrind or a polish.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
I've seen many a 4efe running .7bar on ct9s and still knocking around ,there was one even doing open track days in mondello lol