How safe is my GT for babys/children?

Just found out i'm soon to be a dad :) and as the GT is our only car and daily runner (and im wanting to keep it that way) started thinking how safe is my GT for baby's?
I also know the rear seat belts are not long enough for a child seat as i have tried my nieces seat so how safe are the belt extensions you can get?

Cheers for the info in advance :beer:

pacman

Member +
Congratulations chap :)

Never had any experience with belt extensions so can't comment on them. As for general safety I don't know whether I'd be happy with a baby in a GT, these cars are hardly ncap rated are they.

Gryzor

Admin
There are loads of different ways the child seats are attached, I'd call down to Halfrauds or Mothercare and asked them to sort out a seat for a newborn, there should be at least 1 person in either shop that has been trained in fitting baby seats.

triple j

Member +
I dont think the gt would be safe enough, i have seen a good few gt's that got a bang and the really dont take them very well, and the toughts of little pricks driving up my arse looking for a race with my kid in the car, that would piss me off the most, thats just my point of view man.

triple j

Member +
what about a glanza? Weren't glanzas reinforced more than gt's for safety also which is what added the weight to them?

That vid got me worried! but i don't think any car would be safe with an impact from a lorry like that!
the glanza will fold up just as easy as the gt man, i saw a few of them in a state to.

pacman

Member +
What you need to think about is how modern cars are designed relative to older cars. Nowadays the force will be directed around the cabin whereas older cars like the gt will just fold up at the weakest point which could be anyones guess after 15+ years of corrosion etc. I think, as someone else said above, it's about how safe you want to feel.

Wills21

Member +
I sold my gt when I found out I was going to be a Dad, bought an e46 3 series.
I've had glanza's since and carried my daughter in them, it is a pain in the h**e getting them in and out of the back though thats the only thing

mudi

Member +
Hey,
One thing you should also do is to get a silence muffler....
for new born babies its really bad for their ears as in that their ears can et damaged easily due to sound,

Congrats bro,
Cheers,
Mohamed

Punkyy8

Fresh Recruit
Congrats on the news :)

As above if you have aloud exhuast it will effect the child and long term could effect their hearing, it also isn't great if you are trying to get them asleep in the back of the car.

The other thing when you are trying to get a child in and out of a three door car it is a serious pain with the babyseat and especially if you are in a hurry or the child is crying.

Other thing is not alot of space in the boot for a pram and if you used the car to go shopping you'd prob end up putting the shopping in the back which is dangerous.

Most MOT/NCT centres should check your seatbelts but just check yourself by pulling it and making sure the tensioner pulls the belt back. Another thing which is not really down to the car is that most people fit babyseats incorrectly so just pop by your local Halfords and they will fit it correctly for you :)

Also, try get a recaro babyseat cause they are sweet in Japs- PROPER JDM :p

H_D

Member +
Congratulations pal...

IMO i would not put my child in an old weak car...U can be safest driver in the world but it only takes 1 idoit to make a silly mistake and you could end up injured or worse your child getting injured.
I would probably think about getting a stornger car with a better NCAP rating for the sake of my childs safety.